Diesel Tenders?

Does anyone know much about diesel tenders? Basically a bit diesel tank hitched to the back of a truck that can pump out diesel for rigs while out on disaster deployment? I've been assigned to research this topic thoroughly, but have no background in anything to do with this (cars, fuel, etc). Hoping someone might have had a prior (or current) job where they learned a bit about them.

Looking at how long diesel can be stored...preventing contamination or bacteria growth...additives...safe keeping...hazards...cleanup...potential problems...troubleshooting...etc etc

Thanks for any help.

We had our own fuel trucks that carried gas and diesel. But the questions you posed, your guess is as good as mine.

I opine that, while there are fuel delivery tankers out there, I don't see any reason they cannot be fitted out with a nozzle capable of a field delivery directly into the fuel tanks of ambulances, or engine and ladder companies. Another possibility is a hand crank operated pump from 55 gallon drums in the back of a pickup truck (seen that!)

I opine that, while there are fuel delivery tankers out there, I don't see any reason they cannot be fitted out with a nozzle capable of a field delivery directly into the fuel tanks of ambulances, or engine and ladder companies. Another possibility is a hand crank operated pump from 55 gallon drums in the back of a pickup truck (seen that!)

We were able to do that with all our fuel trucks. Anytime we had a large working fire or a truck on standby for something, when the fuel gauge got to half a tank we'd bring in the fuel trucks where they sat. We even had a couple of pick-ups that had tanks with the hand cranks. We didn't worry about storage of fuel. On Saturdays we fueled all vehicles whether they needed it or not. Instead of driving each one to the city's pump station we just took the fuel trucks to all the sub-stations and topped them off. It was great doing it that way, especially in bad weather. So the fuel was constantly used from those trucks.

On Saturdays we fueled all vehicles whether they needed it or not.

Either by training or personal opinion, I cannot do that.

Most here know that my FDNY EMS usually has us posted at an assigned street corner, for "staging" for any incoming responses. It seems almost all at my station try to keep at least over a half a tank of fuel in both tanks at all times, on presumption we get stuck at the beginning of the tour at some event that will take a long time, we'll have the fuel onboard, and won't need to return to our station, or go to a different station, or authorized commercial fuel station, for refueling.

Some refuel mid-tour, no matter what, topping off the tanks every day. That is by their own doing.

Some systems, who don't stage, but stay in their garages or stations between calls, have written policy that, even if the ambulance only went a mile on a call, on return, crews WILL top off the fuel tanks.

I said "almost". We have, as I am sure everyone here has, within their stations and systems, the jerks who never refuel their vehicles, and don't even warn their relief crews the tanks are both "on fumes". This results in crews being delayed in getting available for calls, and develops resentment at the jerks.

The only time Ive ever been to a scene where vehicles needed to be refuled on the road/scene was the BDA fire in Bradford, RI last summer.

It wasnt anything fancy really... just regular trucks from oil/gas companies driving around gasing everyone up. Id start with local companies see what they would be willing to do to support emergency services. Im sure in the long run doing it that way gets picked up by the taxpayers... my ambulance never ran out of fuel though so I dont know how that was handled.

That sounds like something California would outlaw. You should run the truck on solar power while idling.

A small (2000gal) fuel truck seems like it may be your best outfit.

Do they have any farming co-ops out there? Make contact with them and see what they use for their fuel delivery.

Brentoli just reminded me of something:

When the NYPD refuels their helicopters, it is from a tank truck with what appears to be a standard fueling nozzle on the end of the hose. It is a single unit tanker truck, as opposed to a tractor-trailer (semi?) unit.

Possibly that concept?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.