Disaster team assembly for Gustav

akflightmedic

Arkansas - DISASTER TEAM EMTS & PARAMEDICS NEEDED

I do not have any information as I will not be able to assist, however there are many of you that have expressed interest in responding as a disaster team. I hope one is not needed, but in the event it is, here is your chance to get your feet wet. (pun intended)

I called the number and they told me to send an email of inquiry to the following address. This is all I know, so please do not PM me with any questions. If anyone else finds out more information, please update here for all.

disasterteam@paffordems.com

DISASTER TEAM EMTS & PARAMEDICS NEEDED!!

Pafford EMS is looking for EMT's & Paramedics for a possible disaster team deployment for hurricane Gustav.

Excellent Pay 24 Hour Hotline 1-800-435-7663 for further information.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope one is not needed, but in the event it is, here is your chance to get your feet wet. (pun intended)

I have rubber boots, and it appears from NOAA sattellites its headed for ... you know where .... not again good grief.

cheers

If this is the same Pafford that is in Hope, AR, I doubt the pay is excellent. There is no such thing as excellent pay for paramedics in Arkansas. My husband, also a paramedic and a resident in Arkansas for many years of his life, believes Pafford is probably banking on some federal funds for gathering a disaster team. Never count money you don't have stuffed in a lead pipe hidden in a false panel in your home.

As of 1500 hours this afternoon my pager for my very part-time EMS job began going off. I only get audible pages if it's a "blast" page, and frankly that's the only time I check it, and thats just to silence it. They are forming disaster relief preparedness here in central Arkansas as well. I won't be there, I have prior commitments in my climate controlled ER and my climate controlled college. I don't camp, period.

Red Cross just sent out an email to its members to get people signed up to deploy to four states . . . unfortunately, I have new work and school stuff to take care of (necessary for paramedic school in Jan)

Ventmedic: Yes indeed a double whammy would not be good atall.

Thing is if FEMA gets involved (they have learned some valuable lessons btw) as many volunteer rescuers became rescuee's, there not ALL idiots, as common misconception has lead ppl to believe.

The issue of actual and tangible USAR qualifications become quite an concern, and for safety ! This was one of the "reason's" used to detur we lowly Canadians from coming down to help out during Katrina / Rita events of past. It could be that Pafford would be following Acadians lead/precedent with that inititave ?

Besides: FEMA was very concerned that we Canadians would take jobs away from the Americans ... and quite laughable in fact, as if there's not enough jobs in the soon to be frozen wastelands that are better paid, and a larger scope of practice to boot.

Well: If it does hit the fan, I certianly hope CNN/ media does not get involved and cause "kneejerk" responses from every Tom Dick or Mary TEAMS from "Dog River" this was a recipe for a communications / coordination nightmare.

As for the No Camping EMS49393 .... you big WOOSIE ! ... Just don't eat the MRE's called "Lung in a Bag" as commonly refered to as cheese omlette with veggies ... OMG instant heartburn !

Whatever, getting qualified teams ready in advance may be self serving but it is an improvement proactive not reactive .... just saying.

cheers

You can watch the storms advance on this link:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-vis.html hope it works one may have to copy and paste.

No mention quite yet as to how hard Jamacia got slammed that I can't find quite yet, although it was a catagory 2 I believe when it hit land.

And do not forget if this becomes a major concern that a second WAVE or back/up is most times an after thought.

cheers

Red Cross just sent out an email to its members to get people signed up to deploy to four states . . . unfortunately, I have new work and school stuff to take care of (necessary for paramedic school in Jan)

A couple of chapters from here in CT just deployed a day or two ago.

I was going to join the Red Cross... but as I took the free training courses I couldnt stop laughing. Their disaster managment courses were hosted and narrated by William Baldwin. Litterally every scene you see him in hes "glowing" and it starts with a scene from Backdraft and him saying.., "Hi Im William Baldwin, I play firefighter Brian McAffrey in the movie Backdraft. I learned alot from that.... blah blah blah, hard working community workers, blah blah blah."

Good movie in my book... but I just couldnt take it seriously anymore. Ill stick to donating blood and Fire/EMS.

Edit: Oh yea, Im sorry this is a serious thread I suppose I could be a bit constructive. Just needed to rant that Red Cross thing. Anyways I hope that things dont turn out like Katrina, a few of my freinds went and a pic that one of them took still stands out to me, a plane in the middle of a road about 1/4 mile away from the airport. I can hardly imagine how bad that really was. I just peaked at the radar, Gustav is bearing down at a Cat 3 now. Goodluck to anyone who makes it down there... be careful.