Do you discuss costs?

zzyzx

I have had several rather unpleasant experiences when it comes to billing. Recently the head of the BOD where I work suggested that when we do ALS interfaces with neighboring agencies, we should advocate that we should transport so we can bill for mileage (something I refuse to do, I'm not playing musical stretchers on the side of the road)

Thats insane. Unless there is some sort of written agreement between both agencies, or something happens to the other ambulance (Ive seen that happen) there is no reason the other agency should take a hit financially. And it really brings back memories of job interviews where my perspective employers have reffered to other agencies as competition. It really makes me sick to be in EMS sometimes, and not the times where Im being bled or puked on.

My brother also had an experience at his previous place of employment where he was asked to rewrite a PCR because he said the pt ambulated under her own power to the stretcher. He was asked to rewrite it so it read that she was placed on the stretcher, in order to be more certain that Medicaid would cover it. Fraud at its best.

I dont get that... ok I get it, as in Ive been told to do the same thing many many times. You know what FU*K IT! If someone be it a supervisor or billing or anyone ever again asks me to do it, Ill tell them where to stick it. Ill take the rap for being insabordinate... but if they try to terminate, Im sure my lawyer could easily build a case on being told to falsify a legal document.

Sorry to hear you and your bro have been put in these situations. It sounds like you both need a change of location. Goodluck and stay safe. Most of all thanks for being honest and making the job itself whats most important (not money).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother has since moved on, he and I now work at the same company, which is just starting out and is half volley half paid.

He did tell them where to stick it when they asked him to rewrite the PCR, and they tried to withhold his paycheck. Luckily he has friends in high places and contacted a member of the local Regional Medical Council, who contacted the owner of the company. He was vacationing in Florida and didn't appreciate the interruption on the 18th hole lol.

As for the ALS interface portion, the field providers have all voiced their opposition to this, it's not something we're forced to do, but it's something that many of us will never do. As I said, we are just starting out as a company and many of us have worked hard to form good relations with neighboring squads. It would be a shame to see the relationships ruined so quickly, just because of a little greed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.