Which is better? Hospital based or College Paramedic Courses

Jahism

I have been in EMS for six years. Three as a EMT-basic, three as an EMT-I, and now I just became an NREMT-P. If I could take one thing back, is that I would have gotten my paramedic 5 yrs ago. Imagine how much more educated I would be if I had. I would not say that I was absolutely not a benefit to my patients, but what good did it do when I had no idea what I was treating? Sure I was able to attatch the AED and follow the directions, put on a non-rebreather, start an IV. Did I have any clue as to why those patients presented as they did, was I able to do anything to reverse the possible causes? NO. I would have benefited with a year experience as a basic just to learn operations, to determine if EMS is really for me. Now all I am is behind. As someone said earlier, too much experience as an BLS provider or lower level ALS just leads to more bad habits in need of breaking. My mindset changed when I entered paramedic school. I had no idea what I was about to venture into. I thought it would be a breeze. It was not by all means, there is so much more to being a prehospital care provider, and by all rights, every patient deserves to have an educated EMT in there time of need. With that being said, it is a good idea to get out in the field as soon as possible to make sure that this profession is right for you. Otherwise do not waste your time as I did, increase your knowledge. It is a benefit for you and the patient.

You'll fit in here very well. Welcome :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic