Which is better? Hospital based or College Paramedic Courses

Jahism

I worked the dual medic model and it was absolutely wonderful. Two trained ALS providers that could get stuff done together quickly was truely remarkable. We could take turns running calls and when it was your turn for a call, you drove to your own call that way the other medic could finish all the paperwork from the last call. It worked very nicely. It also helped having a person who was thinking like I was and that could help if there was any trouble. We were a busy truck and ran avg of 10-20 calls/12 hr shift. It was one of the best experiences I could have had. I also have worked in several services with B and I partners as well and the right partner can be a reward but, I would rather have medic/medic.

i take it that youre one of the people with the opinion that a dual medic truck is the way to go?

I for one wouldnt trade my basic partner for ANY medic. She gets the experience of running calls and managing, within her scope, her patients. I OTOH get all the ALS calls. works fine for us. what i DO have issues with is a dual BLS 911 truck. regardless if theres some medic guy chasing them, i just think its stupid, but if it works...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do it here all the time. They are patients that deserve the same care as any other patient and that should be ALS. Sorry but to say that dialysis and transport are below medics is just shit. As a basic transporting a dialysis patient home, what do you do when that patient crashes? I also would love to be somewhere where 20 plus is a normal thing bc the most I have ever made was 17/hr and that was in an oil refinery in the middle of a flood in the middle of nowhere. 9-15/hr is the usual with 10/hr being the average for most medics in the area.

lets face it basics will not go away. no private company is going to pay 20 plus an hour to do transports to and from dialysis. would you or any of your medic co - workers want to dialysis or 911 calls?

most basics here( phila, pa) start out at 11 or 12 per hour. and medics i THINK range from 17 to 22 our cost of living might be higher also.

At my full time. Low cost of living starting pay basics now at $14, Intermediates $16.50, Paramedics almost $20. Plus you are in small rural communitys. Mostly 911 with a few emergency transfers. Only average about 2 calls per ambulance per day. Why waste time in the city?

I have been in EMS for six years. Three as a EMT-basic, three as an EMT-I, and now I just became an NREMT-P. If I could take one thing back, is that I would have gotten my paramedic 5 yrs ago. Imagine how much more educated I would be if I had. I would not say that I was absolutely not a benefit to my patients, but what good did it do when I had no idea what I was treating? Sure I was able to attatch the AED and follow the directions, put on a non-rebreather, start an IV. Did I have any clue as to why those patients presented as they did, was I able to do anything to reverse the possible causes? NO. I would have benefited with a year experience as a basic just to learn operations, to determine if EMS is really for me. Now all I am is behind. As someone said earlier, too much experience as an BLS provider or lower level ALS just leads to more bad habits in need of breaking. My mindset changed when I entered paramedic school. I had no idea what I was about to venture into. I thought it would be a breeze. It was not by all means, there is so much more to being a prehospital care provider, and by all rights, every patient deserves to have an educated EMT in there time of need. With that being said, it is a good idea to get out in the field as soon as possible to make sure that this profession is right for you. Otherwise do not waste your time as I did, increase your knowledge. It is a benefit for you and the patient.