Which is better? Hospital based or College Paramedic Courses

Jahism

lets face it basics will not go away. no private company is going to pay 20 plus an hour to do transports to and from dialysis. would you or any of your medic co - workers want to dialysis or 911 calls?

Correct there will be a place for EMT-Bs but the entry level education should be raised to where it at least requires a decent A&P class. They should NOT be the highest level of care on a 911 call.

The fact that you use dialysis patients as an example is interesting.

Did you know that Paramedics also transport dialysis patients but they are taken to a monitored bed and not to an outpatient center?

Do you know how many emergent dialysis procedures are done in some hospitals each day and some from 911 calls?

Do you know how many different types of dialysis can be done? You seem to lump them into one category.

Do you know how many patients in your area have dialysis each day?

Do you know how many patients don't come by ambulance to a dialysis center? Very few actually do take an ambulance.

How much do you actually know about dialysis patients?

Have you ever read the history of a dialysis patient to see why they are on dialysis?

Looked at the lab values? That in itself is a scary read.

Do you know the complications of dialysis?

Have you treated a bleeder yet?

There's a good chance you probably don't have enough education to properly take care of a dialysis patient when things don't go well. These patients are a ticking time bomb of health problems. The fact the you used them as an example for EMTs vs Paramedics probably means you have not taken the time to even properly assess these "routine" patients.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets face it basics will not go away. no private company is going to pay 20 plus an hour to do transports to and from dialysis. would you or any of your medic co - workers want to dialysis or 911 calls?

Actually it should be Paramedics handling these patients. There are too many things that can go wrong that a basic just is not educated enough to catch. Sorry the companys will just have to up there charges so they can afford to pay me.

i never said anything about a basic being the highest level during a 911 call. the 50 plus private bls companies in my city don't do 911not to mention the other 40 or so right outside the city limits. there are two main types of dialysis. and tens of thousands of pt s in my city and yes i do know that most don't go by ambulance. you seem to always under mind me. and yes i always talk to my pts find out how long they have been going, why they are going etc.

. you seem to always under mind me.

When you make comments like this:

and you still have not explained how i as an emt b can harm a pt. unless of course i drop them

would you or any of your medic co - workers want to dialysis or 911 calls?

or

make remarks like this because a year old thread was asking you to reply:

i once had a gay hit on me and i litterly through up. my personal preference would not spend 12 hours in a ambulance with them but i think mick jagger said it best you cant always get what you want.

or

If you take my response to your question about "dept of aging" as undermining you by referring you to your OWN state's protocols, then yes I guess I have been.

We're all entitled to our opinions but you seem to be very touchy about having things explained to you or being criticized even though you could probably care less about who you may have offended by some of your remarks on this forum.

I'm interested in becoming a Paramedic after EMT Training. How long should i be an EMT before i start Paramedic? and which is better Hospital based or College Training?

Now to get back to the original questions.

Things to look for:

1. Accreditation - CAAHEP, CoAEMSP

2. Cost

3. Contract...loss of money, promises, too good to be true

(A college program may be pay by the semester and a hospital program or medic mill may want everything upfront and is a total loss if you drop out.)

4. Transferability of credits

(Be careful of the words "may", "could" or "should" from the school's rep or contract when inquiring.)

5. Quality A&P prerequisites - college level

You can work as an EMT-B while in school. That will be enough experience especially if you pay attention while continuing to learn things in Paramedic school.

No problem. Please keep sharing your opinions and telling us how you feel about things.

It reassures me that I am not mistaken in my analysis of you.

i don't mean to offend anyone if i have im sorry. it appears that you are very offended by my opinions and my grammar but i will never apologize for how i feel about something.

So you're saying that you're unwilling to change your views on something?