Which is better? Hospital based or College Paramedic Courses

Jahism

I'm interested in becoming a Paramedic after EMT Training. How long should i be an EMT before i start Paramedic? and which is better Hospital based or College Training?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opinion on this topic varies on this site. I for one would suggest beginning medic classes immediately after completing your EMT school. Having gone the route you propose, I cannot see any benefit to delaying your advancement to Paramedic.

I can only comment on the College courses as that is what I did. My options were either a certificate course or AAS degree. I chose the Degree mainly because I felt the further education would make me a stronger medic. Time will tell if this proves to be the truth, but I'm still happy I chose the Degree.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

"How long should i be an EMT before i start Paramedic?"

As long as it takes you to be comfortable operating in an ambulance, taking vitals and talking to patients. You can do that while starting medic school as well just make sure you do it and you'll have better success in your internship. Everyone is different though good luck!

Great that you are wanting to advance. Like Jake said, opinions of a time table to start your Paramedic classes vary here. Personally, I would like to see someone get at least a year in the field for experience and to be very proficiant in all Basic skills. While doing so consider taking some additional classes that can prepare you for the Paramedic class. Take your time. You'll be a Paramedic in due time. Practical experience and common sense will take you a long way.

As for hospital vs. college programs, my basic class was through a community college. My EMT-I and Paramedic classes were through a hospital but was taught by a college and got college credit for it. I'd try to find a Paramedic class that will help you get a lot of clinical experience and college credit if at all possible.

• 5 months later...

There seems to be a LOT of disagreement on whether to start Paramedic school right after EMT basic or not. Both sides have their valid points, though. I'd suppose the quality of the education gotten at the institutions would be an important factor, too.

I found out here in Montgomery County (where most of the Philly suburbs lie), the local EMS school (which used to be associated with the FD) absolutely will NOT let students in without at least a year's worth of EMT-B experience. Yet the hospital downtown that teaches Paramedics (Jefferson Hospital, in Philadelphia Cty), has no such restrictions. Go figure.

Well... yea as Jake said you will get varried opinions as to when to become a paramedic.

Here in Connecticut most if not paramedic classes require a minimum of 1-2 years active service as an EMT, some consider volunteer and others dont. Some require x ammount of calls within that year and others dont.

We have college and hospital paramedic classes. One of the best (not an opinion) classes offered is actually college based through Capitol Community College in Hartford. They have tough standards and generally anyone who dosnt give it the best they have usually fails or drops out. The second best is a hospital based class put on by Yale (as in THE school of medicine) and St Rapheal, both in New Haven. They are a little more lineant but put on a good class.

So before you jump right in you need to first check the requirements... you may not be able to go medic right away. Then get active. Even if you can take your medic immediately and get into a class find something be it FT, PT (preferably in a combination ALS/BLS service) or even volunteer... that way not only can you start seeing how things go but you can start networking with local peers. Find out what area medics reccomend, where did they go, how was their experience there? If your medics are hospital based intercept they may have a volunteer driver program (around here they do)... sign up, learn as much as you can from them when your not returning their vehicle.

i can vouch for chesire. i went to emt- b school at jeffstat ( jefferson hospital) great program by the way. and we finished in june and medic school there started in sept. some of my classmates signed right up for medic school our instructors said basically that its up to you how you feel. if you want to go straight through. but it seemed like they were leaning on the wait a year side. make sure this is what you really want to do. get experience before you spend money for medic school. thats what im doing waiting a year and saving up for tuition.

Get straight into Paramedic school. There is no benefit to waiting. You can run as a basic while in the Paramedic program though that is not even necessary. What you will learn and do as a basic will not prove any real benefit and actually lead to you harming patients.

i disagree. imagine that. There is ALL kinds of reasons to wait. graduating a paramedic program without ever having worked on an ambulance, other than the clinicals if its even required, is ridiculous. just my opinion.

Any good paramedic program will require plenty of clinical time. Yes I agree many diploma mills lack enough clinicals to even get any true exposure. But this person seems to want quality. Plus honestly as a basic you can get ambulance time while in your paramedic program. Why are we supposed to be different than other medical professionals, get the education, then get the experience.