911 systems choking on non-emergency calls

Lone Star

Going back to Cujo for a minute:

OK, no discharging a firearm within city limits, as I got the same law here in New York City. What about a bow and arrow, or a crossbow?

Nope, can't do that either, even with the dog committing the crime, it's cruelty to animals.

While I don't know if calling 9-1-1 was the correct action, I think I might side with calling the LEO precinct house, trooper's barracks, or sheriff's office instead.

I'd flip back to the 9-1-1 call if you felt the dog might force entry to your home, and do someone a world of hurt, in the confines thereof.

I was not there, so I am unable to make the judgement call here.

When I opened the 'main door' to leave for the fire call....cujo the pit bull slammed into the screen door, partially knocking the metal panel (in the bottom half of the door) out of the frame....I slammed the main door shut and picked up the phone....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I opened the 'main door' to leave for the fire call....cujo the pit bull slammed into the screen door, partially knocking the metal panel (in the bottom half of the door) out of the frame....I slammed the main door shut and picked up the phone....

If it were me, the dog would have more holes in it than Hillary's Bosnia story.

As far as the 911 system goes, in about 5 years it will be outsourced to India anyway.

Maybe if the law enforcement system actually prosecuted and followed through with blatantly prank 911 calls, it would drop a bit? Say, a kid calls in a fire, as a joke. It's a known fact, that by pulling a fire alarm, you can be subject to a $5,000 fine.. or two years in jail. How about actually fining them, or sending them to jail. It may be cute when a three year old dials 911 for the first time using a phone, but on their second try.. Fine the damn parents. Keep the phone out of reach, like you would a bottle of pills.

Yea no kidding 4cm, I agree 100%

When I was still in high school, we had an alarm go off. I found it before the first due truck arrived, no smoke, fire... nothing. Just pulled, in the girls locker room. Anyways I guess one of the girls was pi$$ed at the school and just yanked it. I think she got suspended for a while... but any legal actions? NO!!!

Its wrong no matter how or where you do it... but what gets me is that of all places, you pull a fire alarm in a public building and still no legal action.

~~~

Slightly off topic; I dont know about other states but there have been a couple instances here in Connecticut where JUNIOR firefighters have commited arson, called 9-1-1 and tried to put the fire out or search for people to look like hero's. Not a false 9-1-1 or emergency by any means... but still a damn poor ego clogging the system no less.

• 6 months later...

These items just in, from the New York Post, at link http://www.nypost.com/news/weirdbuttrue/weirdbuttrue.htm

WEIRD BUT TRUE

By LUKAS I. ALPERT, WIRE SERVICES

Last updated: 2:56 am

March 4, 2009

Posted: 1:44 am

March 4, 2009

Help! I'm having a Mac attack!

A Fort Pierce, Fla., woman called 911 three times when her local McDonald's told her they were out of Chicken McNuggets.

"This is an emergency. If I would have known they didn't have McNuggets, I wouldn't have given my money," Latreasa Goodman told police.

She said she asked for a refund, but the store refused and offered her a McDouble instead.

Wasting emergency dispatchers' time apparently isn't an isolated event.

A recently divorced German woman called police more than 100 times asking advice on how to find a new husband.

Officers went to her house - and confiscated her cellphone battery.

"Having no boyfriend is not an emergency," one said.

WABC-TV7 Eyewitness News did a report on the first of these 2 items, but I cannot get their website to cooperate for another link.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

So here's a question: I once called 911 in PHX, because a car had parked itself in the middle of a busy street (Cactus Rd around 7th street ish). There was no one in the car, the lights were out, and it was around 0200 hrs. To make matters worse, it was parked in the high speed lane, was dark in color, and just outside the light area from the intersection, on a curve. To me, this is a disaster waiting to happen-mostly because I almost smacked into the back of the car. So, I dial 911 to see if Phx could send PD and get it towed, or something. When the operator answered, I told her right off the bat "at this point, it's a non-emergency" and they hung up on me. I called back, same thing, only before the hanging up part, they said call the non-emergency number, but never gave it to me. So, I drove away, knowing I had at least done my duty to notify 911.

Was this proper? For either myself or the dispatcher?