Another Privacy Question

Some of you may already know Im seeking to leave my desk job. I found a place that has caught my eye, though it does not put me back in the ambulance as I preffer. Its a place called Natures Classroom and its a camp for kids that runs through the school year. It sounds like itd be a great job because itll keep me on my feet, outdoors and I love kids too.

But I read something on their website under the job description that has me a bit, perplexed? http://www.naturesclassroom.org/medical%20person.htm

"The medical person should share food allergy and birthday information with the kitchen staff."

Ok so I dont know how privacy acts apply in this kind of environament, and I also understand the need to know about food allergies, but this just dosnt seem right. I asked the HR representative about this and she flat out said nobody has ever sued for sharing information for the childs safety.

I just wanna make sure Im either right about my feelings on this being wrong... or that Im taking the privacey rights a bit too far? Id rather not go in for an interview and start jabbing at them based on my pre-hospital experience over (as she put it) "pre-ambulance care."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im really interested in this position, but if I have to do what Ive always been taught was wrong... I want to know if it is. That way I can say no thanks in a polite way to the job offer.

this really isn't protected health information I don't believe in this circumstances. You should ask them at the camp about this but since this is integral in the care and well being of the children in your charge then you need to share it with the kitchen staff.

The parents are sharing this with you and they expect that it gets relayed to the kitchen staff. If you were given this information and took it upon yourself to not let the kitchen staff know this information because it was "protected health info" and the kitchen staff cooked something my son was allergic to and you knew it then I'd be really pissed.

In this instance you really aren't working as a health care provider but as a camp worker and I don't think privacy applies here.

It is commonly expected at camps and day cares that allergies are freely and openly discussed because this is important for the day to day care of the child.

At my son's daycare on every cabinet for everyone and God to read there is a list of each childs allergy even if they are not in that classroom as their permanent classroom. No telling where the kids will end up during the day so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just make sure you have a good grasp of the camps rules and regs.

Thanks for the info Ruff. I had a feeling that it may be acceptable, but I really wasnt too sure. I guess having all thoes privacy rights and HIPAA lectures drilled in over time works.

But yea, Id be plenty angry too if my kids info wasnt shared and that resulted in their illness. Thats pretty much what the HR rep emphasized as well, but I didnt want to just take a chance on her word alone.

Again thanks!

Here's one motto I heard.

In God I trust, for all others NCIC

Trust but verify

I don't trust anyone but those I do I know how far I can throw them.

Now I am confused... as I understood it HIPPA was to protect specific pt information(like the demographics: name, address, SSN, telephone number etc). Am I wrong here, or do many people take HIPPA way way to far, like one of the EDS we go to that will not give EMS crews a "face sheet"?

I'm wondering, as an employee of this company, if you are truly violating any privacy issues by sharing this info with other company employees. Check this out, if you all (you and the cooks) work for this company, and are sharing info about a child for the health and safety of said child there is no breach. The parents of this child have already given this company the information at the time of registration for camp.

Let me ask you this to clarify, Is it wrong for a Nurse in the ED to share Pt info with the Doc in order to treat or care for the Pt? I'm thinking you'll fall under similar guidelines in this case. Ruff makes a good point, if you don't use this info and something happens, your going to be opened up for bigger legal issues.

Now I am confused... as I understood it HIPPA was to protect specific pt information(like the demographics: name, address, SSN, telephone number etc). Am I wrong here, or do many people take HIPPA way way to far, like one of the EDS we go to that will not give EMS crews a "face sheet"?

Well, if its your patient you are entitled to that information and if they refuse to give it to you, refuse to take the patient, Ive done that, and its amazing as soon as you say that, you get what you want!

I remember many a time where a hospital has told me to go ahead and load the pt on my stretcher while they get the paper work ready... and I flat out tell them nothing is going to happen untill I get the paperwork. And if I dont get my W-10... dont bother. Facilities around here have been known to refuse pts who are not sent with all the propper paperwork. Not to mention I had an instance where I had the pt on my stretcher... and the staff "just found out" they were still waiting for lab results (that could not simply be faxed, they had to be sent with the transport). Well we "handed off" care back to the hospital... and couldnt transport the pt for at least an hour when the paperwork was finally complete. The dispatch gods made us wait too... so with what paperwork I had, I had my whole PCR finished before I even transported. Of course, I added relavant information on the transport itself afterwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.