Reflective Vest will be required on Federal Hwy Incidents

Many may not be aware of a new OSHA requirement stating and mandating that those involved in working near or around Federal Hwy. must wear approved reflective vest. This will take effect soon Nov. 28, 2008. Even though, your state may not be an OSHA state it does receive Federal Highway funding and can loose funds if it does not participate. (so basically all will participate)

This law was placed a few years ago and a few states are challenging the types of vest ( tear away if working construction, etc) but over all; all agree it would be a safe measure. This also means LEO at MVC's, traffic stops, F/F, EMS and even tow truck [s:bb6b4c0bd8]drivers.[/s:bb6b4c0bd8] technicians.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/E6-19910.htm

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Highway Administration

23 CFR Part 634

[FHWA Docket No. FHWA-2005-23200]

RIN 2125-AF11

Worker Visibility

AGENCY: Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), DOT.

ACTION: Final rule.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: Pursuant to Section 1402 of the Safe, Accountable, Flexible,

Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU),

this final rule establishes a policy for the use of high-visibility

safety apparel. The FHWA establishes a new Part in title 23, Code of

Federal Regulations (CFR) that requires the use of high-visibility

safety apparel and provides guidance on its application. This

rulemaking applies only to workers who are working within the rights-

of-way of Federal-aid highways. The FHWA is taking this action to

decrease the likelihood of fatalities or injuries to workers on foot

who are exposed either to traffic (vehicles using the highway for

purposes of travel) or to construction vehicles or equipment while

working within the rights-of-way of Federal-aid highways.

DATES: Effective Date: This final rule is effective November 24, 2008.

The incorporation by reference of the publication listed in this

regulation is approved by the Director of the Office of the Federal

Register as of November 24, 2008.

My state is discussing taking action against EMS services not mandating and action against EMT's themselves if found not participating. As well, many may not know employers may be exempt from liability if the employee did not use such devices and they were injured or killed.

Personally, I much rather be seen than felt!

R/r 911

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I much rather be seen than felt!

R/r 911

Agreed. We recently received some new vests, 3 for each ambulance. We have been instructed by the powers that be that we WILL wear them on ALL MVC scenes. Personally, I have no problem with that. In fact, I'm glad they're looking out for me.

We are required to wear ANSI class 3 vests on or near ANY roadway, whether federal, state, county, or city. I personally think it's a good idea as most of our MVCs are on either the interstate or narrow two lane road and usually in crappy weather.

Many may not be aware of a new OSHA requirement stating and mandating that those involved in working near or around Federal Hwy. must wear approved reflective vest. This will take effect soon Nov. 28, 2008. Even though, your state may not be an OSHA state it does receive Federal Highway funding and can loose funds if it does not participate. (so basically all will participate)u]

And since states use federal highway funds for all kinds of projects like local main roads etc, you'll be hard-pressed to find any strip of pavement that is not, technically, a federal highway.

This is common practice in Australia. Everyone wears a vest.

no kidding, as timbo would know, workplace safety authorities are not shy about fining you or your employer for not wearing them.

Our Regional EMS Officer purchased an ANSI extremely reflective and blinding green vest for every responder. I've worn in a few times now.. and.. you need sunglasses to put it on during the day. They go for about $43 a pop.. and of course, there will have to be a sudden $20 mark up b/c it's a federal mandate. Won't have any limbs left. What we don't shovel out for fuel and over priced first aid equipment, we'll have to hand out to over priced government contracted manufacturing companies.

Hopefully most places were already doing this in the first place.

I know some agencies have argued in the past that the reflective material on turn-out/bunker gear was enough. I always disagreed with that. Vests are the best way to go.

And since states use federal highway funds for all kinds of projects like local main roads etc, you'll be hard-pressed to find any strip of pavement that is not, technically, a federal highway.

LOL: except in New Hampshire, Still have no Seat Belt Law, only state in the Union, and therefore no Federal Highway Funds coming under that law already!!! Live Free [s:e20f6d2732]or[/s:e20f6d2732] And Die!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.