Fire Truck Stolen

I found this kind of humorous and though I would share some news from my neck of the woods. I dont think its a good thing, but I can understand stealing cars and stuff... but emergency vehicles? Thats just insane. Like that AMR bus plastered all over wild police video shows. Things like this belong in The Darwin Awards (if there were one just for doing stupid stuff).

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=5ed9fd96-...27-f06bd380e527

Jewett City Fire Truck Stolen

Published on 7/24/2008

Griswold — A Jewett City Volunteer Fire Department engine/tanker truck was stolen and later recovered early this morning.

State police said that at about 12:30 a.m. they received a report that the truck was missing from the station.

Prior to the report, a member of the fire department saw the truck being operated northbound on Interstate 395 in Griswold by an unknown subject.

State police from both Troop E in Montville and Troop D in Danielson began searching the area.

A short time later the vehicle was found undamaged and abandoned behind a business in Canterbury.

Detectives from the Eastern District Major Crime Squad were called in to assist with the investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call state police at Troop E at 848-6500.

Nothing new.. Happens often.

Although, they should charge the offending person with a count of endangering a life for every citizen in that community. I say that around here, if someone does something to purposely cause harm to an emergency vehicle, they're putting the whole community at risk. You can't say when the next emergency will occur, what it will be, or who the victim will be; so you have to be prepared. If you lose that equipment, anyone could be affected. So, they should be charged as so. May seem harsh, but I'm in favor of people getting a punishment that fits the crime they chose to commit.

Ditto, I think that not only should they be charged with willfull, or criminal endangerment on X? number counts, but by endangering an entire community like that, in this post 9/11 era that we live in, it comes very close to being an act of terrorism.

Just my rant on the subject!

Update on the stolen truck. It was taken by a former cadet of the department, still to young to drive an engine and with no formal training.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=8726981

By News Channel 8's Tina Detelj

Posted July 24, 2008

Updated 4:20 PM

Jewett City (WTNH) -- A man is accused of stealing and operating a fire engine, for a late night spin.

A former cadet at the Jewett City Fire Department was reportedly behind the wheel, with no training, no CDL license and luckily no accidents during the late night ride.

"He's challenged, let's put it that way," First Selectman Phil Anthony said.

The first selectman says the 18-year-old, who is too young to even drive one of the trucks, is now undergoing a psychological evaluation. He managed to break in through a back door at the fire house.

In addition to reportedly taking the truck, the suspect also grabbed some gear to wear on the potentially dangerous joy ride.

They don't know how long he was riding around, but it ended shortly after another firefighter heading South, on 395, saw the truck coming toward him.

"There's no fire, there's no reason that truck should be out," First Selectman Anthony said. "They investigated in fact it was stolen."

The fire truck was eventually found behind Bergeron Auto in Cantebury.

"I heard the truck as it whizzed by the corner last night," Paul Bergeron, owner of Bergeron Auto, said. "He turned the siren on but the truck was going North, which was kind of strange."

Little did he realize, that stolen fire truck would end up behind his building.

"Luckily nothing got damaged," Bergeron said. "Nobody got hurt, so it's a blessing right there."

Firefighters tells News Channel 8 that even though they would have been down one truck, if there was a fire during the joy ride, they would have had enough other equipment to cover a call.

If you lose that equipment, anyone could be affected. So, they should be charged as so. May seem harsh, but I'm in favor of people getting a punishment that fits the crime they chose to commit.

The FD should be held accountable too for allowing the guy to take a fire truck out for a joy ride.

The FD should be held accountable too for allowing the guy to take a fire truck out for a joy ride.

Yes! How dare they allow someone to break in and steal the apparatus. As should the person who built the fire house, and the person who installed the door, and the company who made the door; and the person who owned the land, from which the resources were taken, to make the door, firehouse and truck.. As well as the parents, who made the cadet. It was all likely caused by gun violence on the streets of LA, video games and loud rock and roll.. So, we should include anyone that fits into that category.

Yes! How dare they allow someone to break in and steal the apparatus. As should the person who built the fire house, and the person who installed the door, and the company who made the door; and the person who owned the land, from which the resources were taken, to make the door, firehouse and truck.. As well as the parents, who made the cadet. It was all likely caused by gun violence on the streets of LA, video games and loud rock and roll.. So, we should include anyone that fits into that category.

Why should we go further than the Firemen? The people who made the door, built the building, and the parents are not the ones who went into a building and drove a fire truck. These people also did not have to ability to keep the apparatus locked up.

I thought it was crazy to just blame the guy for taking the truck when the FD did not secure their apparatus.

The article stated the guy was a former firefighter. Why did they not take measures to keep him out?

What if it was another fireman who gave him a key code or access?

The idea that just because he put an emergency vehicle on the road endangering others I understand. The FD also allowed him to put that vehicle on the road. I am not saying liability is 50/50, but the FD is partially to blame.

I don't see how the FD allowed him to do anything. It was secured just like every other fire engine in a firehouse that is not manned. They lock doors just like we do. He broke in thru a back door and stole the vehicle. So if someone steals my car from my garage which is locked and they broke in I am at least half responsible for allowing someone to break in and steal my vehicle without my persmission?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.