Warning to parents

Just Plain Ruff

Think of it this way, and please bear with me on this one:

Some "experts" think that the way around quick interagency radio incompatibility, without purchase of admittedly expensive new radio networks, is to use "FRS/GMRS" radios (Family Radio Service/General Mobile Radio Service). Reasonings that I have heard include the fact that they are so easily available, can be reset in seconds to any of the 22 channels available, and that you can buy some models for under $50.00 (USD) for 2 on the blister display card.

Good concept, but...

Comes the Multiple Casualty Incident (MCI) one summer Saturday afternoon, and you're a 12 year old neighborhood kid on bicycle, with all your friends, talking on your FRS/GMRS radios purchased by your parents, overlooking the MCI, and commenting on it over the radios.

A disembodied, official voice comes over the radio, "ordering" you and your posse/gang/clique to get off the air. The voice is not that of any parent of anyone in your group. Of course you're going to listen.

NOT!

I know this, as, like most of us here, used to be (without the FRS/GMRS radios, which hadn't yet been set up back then) a 12 year old.

Now, just because it is reasonable to tell the toddler to keep their shoes on, you're trying to reason with a toddler, who doesn't like shoes anyway. The shoes are coming off, and the parent is going to be chasing the toddler down to put the shoes back on. The toddler removes the shoes again, and bbeforethe parent notices this (Again!), the toddler toddles across one of those mats, and doesn't understand why their feet hurt, and starts screaming, and the "Urban Park Ranger" pulls out their ticket book to write up the parents.

I won't say it is right or wrong, but it does seem to be the way things work.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandate that all kids join the armed forces at age 2?

No no no! All natural mal citizens in some countries must enlist on their 18th birthday. Anyone (male) who lives in the country as a naturalized citizen must enlist after 2 years of citizenship (provided they meet age critera, of course it wouldnt apply to a 50 year old).

I got vague memories of a commercial supporting the UN, where the idea posited was that "Wars should be fought by the old men, not the young." It showed two 75 plus year old men in the grey pinstripes of the Diplomatic Corps, with their "seconds" standing behind them, engaging in a bare knuckles boxing match, and appearing to be really wailing on each other.

I got vague memories of a commercial supporting the UN, where the idea posited was that "Wars should be fought by the old men, not the young." It showed two 75 plus year old men in the grey pinstripes of the Diplomatic Corps, with their "seconds" standing behind them, engaging in a bare knuckles boxing match, and appearing to be really wailing on each other.

As long as the deciding factor of the win is an actual fight, rather than age or years in power... otherwise I think Castro woulda had a 1 up on the world.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I do not understand. (please keep in mind I have a 4 y/o.) These mats are made for safety right? Then what happens if a child falls and breaks his leg. Mom hears him/ her cry. The child is sitting or laying on these mats with a broken leg. (Child has shoes on) however he/she has shorts on. Mom or dad says get up honey and not realizing childs leg is broken and now burnt after 5 seconds. Thus making mom/dads response time a lil longer because they did not realize IMMEDIATELY that their child was on a hot surface.

This does not make sense to me. They are not safe for falls either. Yes they may cushion it but who cares about a lil padding when you ass is roasting?

I am happy I live on a military post that is too cheap to pay soo much money for the mats. I would rather my lil girl play on pebbles and sand or wood chips than that stuff. That is just me tho. I would much rather pick out a splinter or 2 or shake her shoes out from the sand then putt burn cream on her body.

As far as the croc things go. My 4 yo has them too children do take them off with super fast speed. She also NEVER wears shoes unless we are out in public. I hate shoes and so does she. I only require them off of our property.

Thanks. I think I got it from Cafepress.com search ems or emt or paramedic. I love that website.

Continuing the discussion, from the New York Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens...=1&page=all

Parkgoers not all convinced by the city's safety claims with artificial grass

BY DARANEE NASONGKHLA AND NITZIA SCOTT

Children's PressLine

Tuesday, August 19th 2008, 3:39 PM

Gonzalez/CPL

Jonathan Penos, 2, plays on the artificial turf at Rufus King Park in Jamaica. Some parents are happy with the updates. Others remain skeptical.

When it comes to artificial turf, parkgoers at Rufus King Park in Jamaica wish the city had kept it real.

At the 89th Ave. and 150th St. park, there's much talk about the new $1.7 million renovation that included artificial turf made of synthetic grass and recycled-tire rubber crumbs on the athletic field - and whether that is the best option.

"It's, like, natural. I'd prefer to play on it," said Tony Aniagba, 17, about natural grass, as he sat on the even, bright green artificial field.

Hydia Cohen, 17, liked real grass because "it's good for the air and trees."

New York City Park Advocates president Geoffrey Croft said living grass "cleans the air, filters harmful particles and cools the earth, and can be up to 70 to 80 degrees cooler than the artificial turf," making it more environmentally friendly.

There is also concern that the city allowed the turf to be used even though there are still ongoing tests to determine if the material is potentially hazardous.

Last month the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission released a report that stated the risk of lead exposure from synthetic grass is not harmful. The report, however, did not address the rubber crumbs used as infill in some fields.

After hearing from coaches and umpires that utilize the parks every week, Croft said he found several claims of foul-smelling fumes emerging from the hot turf, which can reach temperatures of up to 162 degrees, causing headaches and dizziness.

Parents, too, feel that the turf should have been tested before being put into use.

"The testing should be done before they put it down," said Queens dad Kareem Palmer.

But Department of Parks and Recreation Commissioner Adrian Benepe said there are drawbacks to both surfaces.

"From what we understand, from what the Health Department has told us, from what the experts have told us, there is no reason to be concerned about this. The greater risk, really, is kids not getting exercise in the fight against childhood obesity," said Benepe.

According to Benepe, natural fields require expensive, constant preservation with seasonal use.

Artificial grass can be used year round, intensively, with less overall expense for maintenance and a greener, attractive look, he said.

"The main event with the synthetic turf fields is allowing children, adults, athletes to get the maximum amount of use of the field," said Benepe.

Parkgoer Keith Kimloch felt the turf was a big improvement from the condition of the surface before. "It looked horrible. They had wood chips and dirt," said Kimloch.

Michael McBean didn't mind the risks from the turf. "As of right now, I don't see anything wrong." However, he said, "I would prefer real over fake anything. The more natural, the better it is. When you get down to it, that's all we are, nature."

In the meantime, the synthetic fields will be left as is - but Benepe promised "if we find that there is a public health risk, we'll take the necessary steps after that."

While children, families and teams continue to use the same artificial turfs as major universities and pro sports, "The real grass is more natural . . . better to sit on," said Catherina Martinez, 16, "and this one feels all spongy."

Additional reporting by Hanifah Abdullah, Tatyana Bellamy-Walker, Kevin Chen, James Dawson, Jahleel Irby and Nylejah Lawson