Thinking about becoming an EMT...got some questions

I'm just about to turn eighteen, and I'm going to be going to community college soon. I'm either going for EMT (and then later get my Paramedic), Electrician, or maybe nursing. I really would like to do EMT, but I have some questions about it just to make sure I'm not getting into something I won't enjoy. I know you guys have probably heard these questions a thousand times :P and I'm sorry to ask them again, but the is the only place I've found so far to ask these questions and get some honest answers. And if these questions seem stupid...they probably are, but they're just some I have.

What are the average hours like?

What's the average salary for an EMT? I know it's less than a nurse but nursing just doesn't seem right for me. If I can make a decent living off of it I'm fine.

What's the average salary for a Paramedic? I know it's more than EMT and I know I'll be able to do more with it but I don't know much about it.

This is kind of a stupid question but do most employers allow EMTs to have tattoos?

When you go to school to become an EMT do you go through courses to be able to drive an ambulance, or is that something totally separate?

Is there a certain amount of weight you have to be able to lift to be in the course? I've been told this by a few people, but I don't know if it's true. I'm rather small, but I've been lifting weights and working on it. I'm definitely not a body builder. :lol:

I had a lot more...but I've forgotten them. Thanks for helping.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about to turn eighteen, and I'm going to be going to community college soon. I'm either going for EMT (and then later get my Paramedic), Electrician, or maybe nursing. I really would like to do EMT, but I have some questions about it just to make sure I'm not getting into something I won't enjoy. I know you guys have probably heard these questions a thousand times :P and I'm sorry to ask them again, but the is the only place I've found so far to ask these questions and get some honest answers. And if these questions seem stupid...they probably are, but they're just some I have.

Depends. Sometimes you work 24 hours on, 48 hours off. Sometimes you work 12 hour shifts, but that is rare. Most people work until they either wreck an ambulance or kill a patient out of exhaustion. I worked an average of 70-80 hours a week durning my career, just to pay the bills.

What's the average salary for an EMT? I know it's less than a nurse but nursing just doesn't seem right for me. If I can make a decent living off of it I'm fine.

Again, depends. If you live in the sticks, it's around 18,000/year. If you live in an urban area, you might be able to fetch 25,000/year. Add a few thousand dollars a year after you become a paramedic. I might add, EMT-B's are a dime a dozen, so you'll have a lot of trouble finding a job, unless you enjoy inter-facility transfers.

What's the average salary for a Paramedic? I know it's more than EMT and I know I'll be able to do more with it but I don't know much about it.

See above. I work in a moderate size urban area, and my base annual salary is 26,000/year. I'm sure you can figure out why a lot of us work 80 hours a week and/or have two jobs.

This is kind of a stupid question but do most employers allow EMTs to have tattoos?

As long as they are not visible.

When you go to school to become an EMT do you go through courses to be able to drive an ambulance, or is that something totally separate?

Depends on the area. A lot of companies won't even hire you until you're 21 because of insurance issues. Some of them won't hire you until you're 25 for the same reason. Some states offer a drivers course. Some companies require you to attend the in-house course.

Is there a certain amount of weight you have to be able to lift to be in the course? I've been told this by a few people, but I don't know if it's true. I'm rather small, but I've been lifting weights and working on it. I'm definitely not a body builder. :lol:

My service requires you be able to lift around 125 lbs solo. Most lift tests I've taken consist of carrying a 200 lb dummy up and down a flight of stairs, with a partner. You might have a more indepth lift test depending on the area. When I worked for the hospital, I had to go to the physical therapy clinic and do a strength test. I tested at a little over 200 lbs, solo, and I'm 5'2". You'd be amazed how much you can lift when you have to. You'd also be amazed at how much your neck, back, knees, and ankles hurt by the time you're thirty.

You do what your heart tells you to do. I used to be 18 and I couldn't wait to become a paramedic. Now I'm 33 and I rue the day I decided to do this instead of nursing. Thankfully for me, I have a good husband that is supportive of my decision to return to college, this time to obtain a nursing degree. Until the national educational standards change across the board for EMS, it will never progress, and will never evolve to become a part of the healthcare chain. Of course, it's your life. Good luck.

You do what your heart tells you to do. I used to be 18 and I couldn't wait to become a paramedic. Now I'm 33 and I rue the day I decided to do this instead of nursing. Thankfully for me, I have a good husband that is supportive of my decision to return to college, this time to obtain a nursing degree. Until the national educational standards change across the board for EMS, it will never progress, and will never evolve to become a part of the healthcare chain. Of course, it's your life. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I really would like to be an EMT and I don't want to be stuck in an office all day but the pay for it is just really low for all the stuff that comes with it. I have a friend who is an EMT and he said exactly what you said about having to work constantly just to basically pay his rent. I'm going to give it some more thought and look into some other stuff before I decide. I really want to do wildlife rehabilitation but I can't find any colleges that offer courses in that. Thanks again for answering my questions.

You want to look into a conservation biology or ecology degree then, with a minor in animal science.

Where are you? I may be able to point you in the right direction if I know where you are. Also, try contacting biology or wildlife science department heads at the large universities in your state....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

It is getting better. Most urban areas are going to 12 hour shifts. 24/48's are becoming a thing of the past, in busy urban areas. Rural areas will probably stay with 24/48's.

Pay in most bigger cities is around 28-30k for EMT amd 34-40k for a Paramedic.

I work about 48-50 hours a week and get by just fine, raising a family. The OT is there, if you want it. If you like to work a lot and have no life, you can make upwards of 70-80k a year with OT.

You have to love this job to be able to handle it. Some people are just not cut out for it. This job is what you make of it.

Most places are going to 21years old, as a hiring age. This is due to insurance reasons. I would like it to be 24-25 years old, due to maturity levels! :shock:

If nursing doesn't feel right then don't do it. EYDAWN gave you some good pointers she can help you alot.

Depends on area. I actually will work 120 hour shifts and then get week or more off. Many are 24 on 48 off. Depends on where and how busy.

What's the average salary for an EMT? I know it's less than a nurse but nursing just doesn't seem right for me. If I can make a decent living off of it I'm fine. What's the average salary for a Paramedic? I know it's more than EMT and I know I'll be able to do more with it but I don't know much about it.

At my full time Basics $13/hr and Paramedics $18/hr. That is paid all 24 and no free call duty. Many places will have a decent hourly rate but require you to pull call duty as well and only pay if you get called in, so it really cuts down your true hourly rate.

Not visible. It is considered unprofessional and is still offensive to many. If you choose to get ink place it where it will always be covered.

Normally seperate, most schools briefly discuss driving. Also in many places you can not drive until at least 21.

If you are in shape you should be fine. With proper lifting techniques you should be able to do the job.

Hope that helps.

ike everyone is saying it all depends on where you work. for me as a basic i make 20,000 i work 10 and 12 hour shifts . i am non 911 i just do transport. everntually i will get into the 911 system. there are a ton of emt jobs in the larger cities. there are prob about 50 or so different ambulance companies where i am from most are just transporting. but its a start. ambulance companies are always hiring because ppl are always getting burned out or moving up. a lot of ppl use emt b as a stepping stone for nursing school. paramedics around me make around 40 - 50 thousand and you can always get overtime. bottom line the larger the city the more oppertunities you have in making money. and the more education you have the better.

I'm just about to turn eighteen, and I'm going to be going to community college soon. I'm either going for EMT (and then later get my Paramedic), Electrician, or maybe nursing. I really would like to do EMT, but I have some questions about it just to make sure I'm not getting into something I won't enjoy. I know you guys have probably heard these questions a thousand times :D and I'm sorry to ask them again, but the is the only place I've found so far to ask these questions and get some honest answers. And if these questions seem stupid...they probably are, but they're just some I have.

NY is a different animal than most here, we do 8-10-12-16 hour shifts ... no longer than 16 inside nyc. well exceptions apply but dont they always?

average salary ranges from dirt poor to poor. 25k-30k

from poor to semipoor 40k-50k

anyone heard of equal opportunity employer? cant force you to not have tattoo's besides there is always a way to cover them up ..

course is usually with the company/service

I had a lot more...but I've forgotten them. 125 lbs unassisted 250 assisted

Thanks for helping.

yourwelcome good luck

You want to look into a conservation biology or ecology degree then, with a minor in animal science.

Where are you? I may be able to point you in the right direction if I know where you are. Also, try contacting biology or wildlife science department heads at the large universities in your state....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

he said EMT not zoologist...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.