Thinking about becoming an EMT...got some questions

What are the average hours like?

Long. Very long. EMS is expensive to maintain, therefore EMS services will try to have the minimum amount of staff necessary, which makes for long shifts. In addition the fact that your co-worker's last job may have been emptying the dumpster's at Chuck E. Cheese's means many a person not coming into work.

What's the average salary for an EMT? I know it's less than a nurse but nursing just doesn't seem right for me. If I can make a decent living off of it I'm fine.

If frivolities like a house, a car, paid bills, and perhaps a dog are things you enjoy, making a decent living as an EMT is a pipe dream. If living with your parents or in a trailer next to the local meth dealer is okay with you, then you might be able to eke out a living.

What's the average salary for a Paramedic? I know it's more than EMT and I know I'll be able to do more with it but I don't know much about it.

Given the amount of training, the level of responsibility, and the level of stress of a typical paramedic, the salary is no where near what should be paid. However, if you find the right service in the right area, you may be able to get the house, car, and dog setup, but don't be surprised if you have to move to an area of the country you have never heard of to get it.

This is kind of a stupid question but do most employers allow EMTs to have tattoos?

Surprisingly, the answer is no, which should say a lot about the profession in general.

When you go to school to become an EMT do you go through courses to be able to drive an ambulance, or is that something totally separate?

Most EMT courses include an 8 hour segment on driver training, which may or may not include cheesy videos from Driver's Ed which you can feel free to fall asleep during. If you don't have a few years of driving a car in normal conditions, driving a several ton vehicle in emergency mode probably isn't a very good idea.

Is there a certain amount of weight you have to be able to lift to be in the course? I've been told this by a few people, but I don't know if it's true. I'm rather small, but I've been lifting weights and working on it. I'm definitely not a body builder. :D

If you are going to do this as a real job, you should be able to lift and carry 50% of the weight of 90% of the population, which of course depends if you live in the heart of Double-Cheeseburger-Butt-Land or not. Most EMS systems run two people to a truck, and employers and patients generally don't like it if you are called to bring someone to the hospital and you are unable to do so.

I had a lot more...but I've forgotten them. Thanks for helping.

"It never hurts to help!" ---- Eek the Cat

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.