Reciprocity Problems?

I was wondering if anybody here has ever had a problem with getting reciprocity as an EMT-B, EMT-I- or EMT-P from other states. Has anybody found themselves jumping through hoops every time they tried to apply to different states? Let me know, because I have been thinking about going to school as a medic. I currently work as an EMT in North Carolina, and despite the low pay and all that, one of my major goals for getting a medic is so that I could have that option of transferring to different states if need be and have a job waiting for me. I know that transferring isn't a piece of cake, but I was wondering if anybody had major issues with reciprocity. I would love to hear your comments, guys. Don't be shy, now!

Two words: National Registry

As a guy who has done a lot of traveling and held a medic license in 8 different states, the one thing that facilitated my reciprocity was having National Registry.

In several of the states, it allowed me instant reciprocity; other states it allowed me to challenge their state medic exam so I could get a state cert.

I have looked into this due to the nature of my work over the years and I have found states that will not recognize any of your prior education/training without holding National. If you moved there with your NC state card, they would require you to repeat the entire program.

So, in summary...Get Your National Registry

I agree the bottom line if you want to travel in EMS is get your NR! Plus all US government jobs require it and you'll need it for international gigs as well. Reciprocity means different things in different states whether they call it certification or a license you'll still be working under an MD license as there is no standard scope of practice for EMS providers (hence no true licensure!) Anyway, the main hoops you'll jump thru will be the surgical procedure performed on your wallet (cashectomy) and all the forms, tests etc you'll have to do to get your knighthood for a particular kingdom. Some states are easier than others. Good luck and enjoy. I've enjoyed working in different systems and learning more. Take care.

The states I checked into at EMT-B and EMT-I required at minimum a test and most even required sitting through a refresher course even with NR. At the NR Paramedic level I just would be required to send my card and my money and get to work. Now that was only 3 or 4 states I looked at as I could never move to yankee land. :twisted: So it really is not a true look at all states.

A mention I have heard about National Registry, from members, which I am not: You can get the NREMT in New York State, but the New York State Department of Health does NOT recognize NREMTs generated from outside the state's borders.

A mention I have heard about National Registry, from members, which I am not: You can get the NREMT in New York State, but the New York State Department of Health does NOT recognize NREMTs generated from outside the state's borders.

100% correct Richard,,,,, NYS is one of the few that does not recognize NR at any level,, there has been much talk about changing that, but as of right now,, no go..

I have cards in DC, MD, VA, and NY,,, and the key was two letter N.R. get NRT and you can not go wrong, I'm sure there are a few others that dont take NR, but they are few and far between... maybe others can post what states dont take NR.....

Im an EMT-B in Connecticut and no longer have my National Registry, which I regret letting drop but its not as big a deal as I thought.

To maintain employment in a previous company I had to get my EMT in the State of Rhode Island as well... it took some extra paperwork compared to thoes who still had their NR but it was no sweat.

Now as of recent Ill be moving to the State of Tennessee in August or September. According to an email response from their Dept of Public Health getting my license there will be a matter of some extra training to the IV level (TN no longer trains to the Basic level).

Its probably a state by state basiss (please dont take my word) but NR will make it easier but isnt required everywhere. Youll become NR when you get your medic anyways, and I believe its a requirement to maintain as well. So when you get your medic you should be fine.

Dont get too discouraged like I was... your not tied to the chair.

Best of luck.

Youll become NR when you get your medic anyways, and I believe its a requirement to maintain as well. So when you get your medic you should be

No this is not true either. Not everyone gets NR when they get their medic and no it is not a requirement to maintain either....unless you were referring to a specific state or service and I overlooked it. But in general, your statement is inaccurate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.