Why internet trolls aren't as funny as they think they are.

gt3454

I'm new to posting on this site, but I've been a paramedic since 1991. I've worked in rural and suburban EMS as well as metro-urban style transport and non-transport systems.

I'm well aware that we all get frustrated with dealing with the BS of psych/substance abuse patients. What we should ALL be aware of though is that people watch what we do and say and sometimes, they even check up on us on the internet.

I'm not sure how many of you saw this post.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/16844880/detail.html#-

It was linked from CNN's home page but I hope if you take the time to read it, you will note this quote from the reporter researching the policy.

"Kalodimos reported that while doing research for this report, she found a post on a paramedics Internet chat site that said, "One good thing about Versed is that the patient won't remember how he got that footprint on his chest."

To whoever put that gem out on the internet, congratulations, you have decreased the credibility of your and my profession.

We do a tough job. It isn't respected by many, even those we serve, but you know it is important and it takes special people to do it well. When you start to feel that frustration building to the point where your willing to demean yourself and the work you do by posting are making comments like that one, take the time to remember why you do this work and why it is SO important to retain our professionalism.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so... I don't understand what you are saying? Are you suggesting that we self-censor ourselves so that you won't have your credibility diminished by some reporter that calls internet snooping research?

For a first post, you are doing a great job of trolling yourself.

Internet chatrooms are a place to come let off steam and do it with people that understand where you are coming from. Its a place to unwind and blow off steam nothing more nothing less. This reporter is the one who was unprofessional did they ever let the people in the chatroom know that they were there and why? My guess is NO they didn't. So they invade our turf and stress relief place and call us unprofessional seems to me that the pot calling the kettle black. We at least say what we are and who we are we dont hide and do it!

So a lawyer, throughout all of the internet found a post by someone who may-or-may-not be a paramedic (this is, after all, the internet) that made a sarcastic remark. :roll:

Honestly, I'm not sure which part is funnier - the line itself, or that some supposed journalist actually quoted a source saying something along the lines of, "I found a post on an internet chat room..." Yeah, and this one time at band camp...

So a lawyer, throughout all of the internet found a post by someone who may-or-may-not be a paramedic (this is, after all, the internet) that made a sarcastic remark. :roll:

Honestly, I'm not sure which part is funnier - the line itself, or that some supposed journalist actually quoted a source saying something along the lines of, "I found a post on an internet chat room..." Yeah, and this one time at band camp...

Well I am glad the reporter wasn't around when we told those stories about band camp, cheerleading camp, etc etc :wink: :wink: :wink:

We're people too. And in this job you gotta keep a sense of humor. If they don't get the humor, that's their problem.

Now wait a minute, the OP seems a little upset at everybody for what 1 person (who may be a paramedic) said in a chat room/ forum. I can see where they might have gotten upset by what a reporter said was found on the internet because we all know that the creditability of journalism has NEVER been questioned, and everything on the internet is as equally reliable!!!!! I for one will start cleaning up my act, and self censoring as to maintain the professionalism of OUR field............roofing!

The problem is that people have no sense of context or setting anymore. The poster of that comment was saying something in jest that while it might elicit a laugh in the squad room or at the local watering whole, when held up to the light of day for all to see it is horrifying.

I'm not sure what it is about Fire and EMS that gets people so sucked in to their own world that they forget what the rest of the world is like. Maybe its ego, maybe its stupidity, but if you're talking about your profession on the internet, don't write anything you wouldn't want your mother to see. Although I'm not one to talk, really. :-D

The problem is that people have no sense of context or setting anymore. The poster of that comment was saying something in jest that while it might elicit a laugh in the squad room or at the local watering whole, when held up to the light of day for all to see it is horrifying.

I'm not sure what it is about Fire and EMS that gets people so sucked in to their own world that they forget what the rest of the world is like. Maybe its ego, maybe its stupidity, but if you're talking about your profession on the internet, don't write anything you wouldn't want your mother to see. Although I'm not one to talk, really. :-D

I know I'm guilty. When working around the clock for six days straight and almost everyone you've had conversations with are your co-workers and medical professionals, you can by habit keep using medical terminology, radio codes, etc. You can get some weird stares on your day off.

After I had to get out of the field I had taken a job at a local sporting gear type of place. There was an accident on the highway out front. I called 911 and out of habit I told the dispatcher that there was a 10-50 in front of the store. She had no idea what I meant. I apologized and told her a motor vehicle accident. Then she got snotty and said that they don't use those old kind of codes anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.