Whats with shorts and flip flops on scene?

I carry a pair or overalls, and at least a good basic first aid kit, if not a jump bag in my car all the time, I am a volunteer also, and I travel a lot for my day job, about 1500 mls per week average, so I have come up on numerous accidents, etc. and I prefer to be prepared (that is the former scout in me) to respond in a professional appearing manner at least, also, no responder, regardless of level of training, can be any good to a pt. if they become another pt. themselves.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways heres another question. Anyone go to their area hospitals and see the staff wearing Crocs? Thoes new (supposedly very comfortable) shoes that have about a dozen holes in them? Alot of nurses are wearing them now and that kinda ticks me off too. I mean seriously... let me finish barfing and bleeding all over your might as well be bare feet.

I guess Im just a stickler for safety. Especially if its common sense safety.

Actually Im from Connecticut... but moving to Tennessee fairly soon.

Most wear socks with the crocs!

I think being comfortable on your feet for 12 hours is a lot better then the slight chance you get blood or puke through that little hole.

It's called carry extra socks. if you do get something on them. Wash them off and change socks.

I would have to go for comfort. I did many shifts in the hospital, and because I was not in comfortable shoes, I was looking for time/places to sit.

As for the safety of the crocs, I do not see where the problem is with them. They would be easy to clean, the are all one piece with no fabric. With shoes/boots, they have fabric which can soak in an fluids.

The rest of a uniform is fabric, and if fluids get on the uniform, we just change uniforms and wash off.

Also, if I remember right, there is a line of crocs made for health care workers, that do not have the holes in them.

I just think crocs are ugly. And look unprofessional. But that's just me.

In the winter, yes, I can see class B uniforms, but in the summer, or anytime the heat goes above 85 , polo shirts and shorts are THE way to go.

I disagree. Part of being taken seriously as a 'professional' is to LOOK like one. How many bank managers do you see in shorts and polo shirts, even on 'casual Friday'? Hell, most places that do allow 'casual dress' on occasion will not tolerate shorts (even if they're well pressed), so why as a professional health care provider, should we allow such attire to permeate our ranks?

The only professions I've seen that includes shorts as part of their uniform is mailmen and bicycle cops....

I have even worked a code in a dress and high heels :wink: :wink: :wink:

We know that's not true....terri dont wear dresses, she said so herself!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.