Spenac Offended by Mother Blaming Behavior On Disabled Kids

spenac

Was this bad parenting?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Children should be allowed to do whatever they want.

Sorry mom; however, safety has to come first. However, if the kids were simply screaming, then mom may have a case.

Take care,

chbare.

In one of the TV interviews the mother mentions the kids running in the isles. Case dismissed. Mother has to pay all court costs and give all passengers money for vacations.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we do have a child, 17 now. And at last count, 26 nieces and nephews, and 1 great-niece. So, Ruff, I can say I'm experienced in how children should behave. That and just good old fashion common sense can tell you by just observing how both children and the parent (s) behave can present how well or how poorly parental control can be. In this case, from what others on the flight had said, was how the children kept running up and down the aiels getting in the way of the Attendants and running into other passengers. They were jumping up and down on different seats and being very loud. And the mother did very little to get them to stop. She seemed more concerned with the conversation she was having with whomever it was that was accompanying her on the flight. I've heard countless times that kids will be kids, but not on a flight. Actually "letting kids be kids" is not appropriate in public unless they are at a playground. I believe this mother was lacking one other thing, respect. She didn't seem to care that her kids were being disruptive to others.

By the way, didn't a lot of this get aired on another thread? This shouldn't have turned into how the kids should have been disciplined. But it should just be about how the mother was removed from the flight with her children and whoever was in their group.

People could have ADHD and such, but no excuse for some bad behavior. A nice as$ beating goes a long away....

Just adding my two cents.

Good parenting or bad parenting isn't the problem. What on earth was she thinking taking 4 kids on a flight?

Dang I have 4 kids all aged 10 and under and now I would feel fine taking them on a flight alone. Two years ago would have been a different story. My youngest has acquired apraxia/dyspraxia. Two years ago it would have been us being thrown off a plane. Thats why I made the choice to drive from Maine to South Carolina instead of flying. At least her screaming from not being able to express herself was only disrupting us in our own personal vehicle and not god know's how many people on a plane.

Some people just don't have enough brains to think about how their own situation will effect others. Its not like a grocery store where you can just up and leave, kinda hard to up and leave at 30,000 feet.

Imagine an 8 year old child that has so many thoughts running through their mind they can't formulate answers to simple questions. Imagine this child repeating over and over again how they can't concentrate. I would hate to feel that helpless which is why my family and I have done everything we can to educate ourselves in ways to help my son through his illness.

My son has a severe form of ADHD. He is fairly well controlled with medication, but he has bad days. He was placed in a private school last winter because he was too disruptive during class. He was in a classroom with 30 other second-graders and one teacher. He would spend considerable time during the evening hours upset about his behavior. His on-going excuse was something like this:

Some of the kids are stupid, and the teacher has to repeat things over and over again. It's boring, I'm bored, I already know this stuff.

He'd apologize for making disruptions, he'd say that he gets bored, and he can't concentrate well when he's bored. When he went into the private school, placement assessments were preformed, and he was subsequently placed in 3rd grade English/reading, and 4th grade math. The class size is roughly 7:1. There are several six graders that are in his math class. He never calls them stupid, in fact, he is willing to help these children understand. He is better stimulated and therefore better behaved.

Don't get me wrong, that kid can and does get out of control. We solve that by removing him from the situation. Now, that does eliminate some activities, like flying, but we have found that removing him and discussing the problem works for him. He generally returns, apologizes, and continues on with the activity.

He is an avid lover of the outdoors, wildlife, and sports. Up until last fall, he was playing football, baseball, and swimming. During football last fall it was decided that the game involved too much "rough-housing" which altered his behavior. He agreed that football wasn't his type of sport, and has placed more emphasis on his baseball playing. He's been playing baseball more than half his life, and was chosen along with one other player to represent his team in the little league all-star game, which they won.

It burns my ass when a parent blames their children's "disorders" for their behavior. It leads me to believe they haven't put forth the effort to educate themselves in appropriate ways to deal with their children's behavior. I saw the news story on this women last night, and several of her statements struck me as strange. This woman took four children on a plane, when she knows two of her children have disabilities. Wouldn't driving have made more sense? After all, you can't remove a disruptive kid mid-flight. Not only that, but she stated she was left stranded with no money, and her mother had to pay to fly them by another airline. Who travels with no money and a bunch of kids? How did she plan on feeding these kids? What if her flight would have been cancelled and she would have had a stay-over?

My son is a smart, funny, and good little boy. I never blame his illness for his behavior. I won't let him play victim either. When he is wrong, he knows he is wrong. He knows the meaning of the word consequence, in both its positive and negative form.

Yep, I have a kid and he's wonderful. And no, I do not beat him into submission, I'm just a damn good parent and he's a wonderful child. He knows how to behave. Now the kids with disabilities....they may not have the control that my son does but what about the other children that were running around? Yep, that falls on the parent's lap.

Being an ex-flight attendant, I must say the safety issues here are HUGE. There are SOOO many things that can go wrong with people, expecially kids, running around. Ever notice how we get cranky when everyone is standing in the isles???? Yea, thats because we can't get to our emergency equipment, we can't see what everyone is doing, and we obviously couldn't get something or someone in time of an emergency. Basically, we can't do our job. Kids are curious...they get into everything. They get into the wrong thing....and there could be severe problems for the entire plane. Is it our job to watch your children? Nope, not our job, it's the parents. We have a crap load of other stuff to be concerned with...it's not all about serving peanuts and coffee I can assure you.

Now...lets question the airlines. They had to know they were letting 2 adults and a handful of kids travel, 2 of which have disabilities. They should have thought about the possibilites before offering the tickets, but thats the airlines being greedy.

Basically, I see it from both view points. I place no blame on the children with disabilities....they can't help themselves. The other children could have though with the right direction from thier mother. Thats the bottom line. They were warned to keep them under control.

People could have ADHD and such, but no excuse for some bad behavior. A nice as$ beating goes a long away....

Actually Don, you're a great example of this. I've asked, pleaded, scolded, yet nothing can cause you to produce a post that you wouldn't confuse as coming from an angry 14 year old.

I use you as an example simply because if we can put up with your non thought-out posts month after month, then others can put up with some misbehaving kids for a few hours.

This is a public forum, as that was a public plane, we don't simply kick people off because they act like children. You should be thankful for that.

A good "ass whuppin" is ignorant, it does nothing to explain why you believe that to be true, has no support that shows why we should believe it to be true.

Someday it is my hope that you will grow bored with your verbal ejaculations and actually ad substance to your posts...Until then? Welcome to the flight....

Dwayne

Dang Dwayne, I'll bet if you weren't 10000 miles away, and deep in the heart of Osama Land you wouldn't be so daring. ha ha ha

but actually I agree with what you said.

Actually Don, you're a great example of this. I've asked, pleaded, scolded, yet nothing can cause you to produce a post that you wouldn't confuse as coming from an angry 14 year old.

I use you as an example simply because if we can put up with your non thought-out posts month after month, then others can put up with some misbehaving kids for a few hours.

This is a public forum, as that was a public plane, we don't simply kick people off because they act like children. You should be thankful for that.

A good "ass whuppin" is ignorant, it does nothing to explain why you believe that to be true, has no support that shows why we should believe it to be true.

Someday it is my hope that you will grow bored with your verbal ejaculations and actually ad substance to your posts...Until then? Welcome to the flight....

Dwayne

Dang Dwayne did you wake up on the wrong side of Afganistan? :lol: Would you mind sharing how you actually feel? :lol: