court

afib

i soon have to go to court unfortunatly due to a car accident where one of the occupants eventually succumed to his injuries, i treated the driver.

my question is who has gone to court for something related to this and advice as to dealing with it, tips, tricks, advice????

appreciated

Tell the truth and don't act like you are nervous or the attorneys will eat you alive. Just talk clear and dont sway from your answers if there is something you dont remember ask to review the call sheet. And pray that you doucemented everything.

Unfortunately, some lawyer is going to try his darndest to make you look incompetent. I suggest that you re-read your patient care report so that you remember the details of the call. Lawyers have been known to give you only part of a run report and then ask questions that can't be answered without the rest of the report. It's ok to say, "I'm sorry but I can't answer that question without the rest of this report." Good Luck

In my experience, be honest. Dont make things up or attempt to fill in the gaps. Stay far away from "well you know" and "I didnt know at the time". You can take your report to court and take it on the stand with you. Stick by your report and if its not in there, dont mention it. The most helpful thing though is to meet with the attorney before. Which side are you testifying for? Ask the attorney what they are looking for and they will let you know where the defense is going to try and trip you up.

The last time I was in court (3 weeks ago) I was in and out in 5 mins. No big deal.

Good luck

Has your departments lawyer or lawfirm been in touch with you and is it helping you with preparing your testimony.

If not, good luck. Your department should be assisting you in this.

I remember this one time when I was told I would have to testify in court. Using my service's lawyer, I had a conversation with the other lawyer. Long story short, I did not want to go testify and I was trying to get out of it.

I informed the lawyer everything I had to offer was in my report. I stated I would have my report in my hand and any question asked of me would be answered by me reading exactly what was on my report. No changes, no deviations, no add ons and no personal input. He did get a little pushy and tweaked his argument a little bit trying to persuade me but I stood firm. I then informed him I would read my entire report for each question just to make sure I did not leave anything out, but the fact remained that everything would come from my report, exactly as it was written.

The lawyer decided not to have me testify and would use my report as it was intended, without my presence being required. :D:D