Horrible, at least 7 dead in HEMS accident.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this controlled or uncontrolled air space?... Is there a tower calling out the location of other a/c in this area, or are you self announcing on approach...

This is uncontrolled airspace. The Flagstaff airport does not have air traffic controllers, and this incident occurred less than 1 mile from the Flagstaff hospital.

Seems to me that they failed to "maintain visual separation ".... Also do they have ADSB/ or a flight following dispatcher that can tell them the location and altitude of other A/C in the area .?????

From what I understand of the situation, the visibility was near zero in the area due to several wild land fires. The dispatching centers for the two companies did not have information about conditions at the site to relay to the aircraft.

This is uncontrolled airspace. The Flagstaff airport does not have air traffic controllers, and this incident occurred less than 1 mile from the Flagstaff hospital.

From what I understand of the situation, the visibility was near zero in the area due to several wild land fires. The dispatching centers for the two companies did not have information about conditions at the site to relay to the aircraft.

holy mother of god almighty, visibility was zero and they still took off. I know that all I'm doing is taking the word of the above poster but really, taking off in zero visibility is a recipe for disaster.

Is any patient worth us dying for? That is really the question? Is any patient, even your spouse or child worth you dying for?

I seem to have overstated things a bit. According to local news reports weather conditions were clear and calm, and should not have played a part in this incident.

Then we agree that one per DECADE is still one too many?

As stated, I'll wait for the NTSB report, and hope that whatever lessons from the investigation are learned, that it will prevent another similar one in the future, if at all avoidable.

actually 0 crashes ever is what we want but we all know that is unrealistic.

Hopefully the NTSB recommends new safety procedures.

I think one first step would be this Helicopter shopping. What happens there is that if one cannot take the flight then you call the next helicopter service and the next until you get one that will take it. Calling one and they say no then No other services can be called.

What are you people doing over there???...............This is unbelievable gut wrenching stuff

There is no one more important than YOU , in the rig or chopper or where ever and certinally, the expectation is that you arrive home from work at the end of every shift, in the same condition that you left.

None of us should ever die for their patients or because of them.

The Lord is their Sheppard.....................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.