Horrible, at least 7 dead in HEMS accident.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will join in the mourning of our fallen comrades, and hold off on finger pointing of blame until after I hear the results of the NTSB. There will be a time for that, later on.

I'm with you, RB. When I first saw it on the news my first question was why were there two choppers in the same air space that close to a hospital? Did either pilot know that there was another helo that close? And if so, why didn't they give each other more space? A lot of questions, a lot to investigate.

My heart goes out to all.

Seventh Victim Of Copter Crash Dies

Collision Claims Registered Nurse From Salt Lake City

http://www.kpho.com/news/16793546/detail.html

POSTED: 6:18 pm MST July 4, 2008

UPDATED: 7:11 pm MST July 4, 2008

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- The lone survivor of Sunday's mid-air crash of two medical helicopters has died at a Flagstaff hospital here, authorities said.

James Taylor was a registered nurse and was flying on one helicopter that was ferrying a patient from the south rim of the Grand Canyon to a Flagstaff hospital.

The chopper collided with another medical helicopter last Sunday in a wooded area about a half-mile from the hospital, killing six people aboard the two crafts.

Taylor, 36, had been in critical condition since being taken to Flagstaff Medical Center after the fiery crash. He died on Friday, authorities said.

He was a registered nurse at St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake City and was working his second job as a flight nurse in Arizona at the time of the crash.

A memorial service for the six people who died in the collision was set for 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Pine Mountain Amphitheater in Flagstaff. It will be open to the public and the media.

Meanwhile, the lead official investigating the fatal crash of two medical helicopters said he'll have a report ready sometime next week.

National Transportation Safety Board investigator Aaron Sauer said his team continues to look at surveillance video, interview with witnesses and hospital staff to determine what happened before the choppers collided.

The engine control units from both aircraft also are being sent to the manufacturer in Hartford, Conn., to extract data about the helicopters' altitude and speed.

Earlier in the week, investigators picked through the wreckage. They found that the tail of one helicopter showed signs that it had been hit by a rotor blade.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Flagstaff collision was only the second mid-air crash involving a medical helicopter in the past 25 years, and the first that involved two medical aircraft.

One of the helicopters was operated by Air Methods from Englewood, Colo., and the other was from Classic Helicopters of Woods Cross, Utah.

People who might have seen the collision are asked to contact the Flagstaff Police Department at 928-774-1414. If additional debris is located in the area, please contact the police department as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.