Horrible, at least 7 dead in HEMS accident.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts with family and friends.

A paramedic friend from the area says it is rumored that there was a brown out, that is so much dirt was kicked up from rotor wash that pilot lost visibility and crash occurred.

This is absolutely crazy! How many more of our brothers and sisters need to die before people wake up and realize we have some serious issues that need to be looked at.

Take care,

chbare.

From local news reports, there have been reports of six dead including one patient and one flight nurse critically injured. Two "emergency workers" were injured on the ground at the scene.

It is still unclear whether they were both transporting patients at the time, or if one was picking a patient up for transport. The Flagstaff Medical Center helipad does not have the space for two aircraft so I can only guess that they were both trying to land at the same time, and did not see the other aircraft.

It's a sad day every time we have to say a final farewell to our comrades in ems. It should be known that those who perished in this horrific accident today should not be pitied for they died doing what they love. And to me it's heroes of this caliber that put their patients' lives first and commit to saving them at all costs that should be epitomized. We in the EMS community as well as the civilized world have lost 6 truly brave and selfless heroes today. My thoughts and prayers go with the families and coworkers of those we lost and I continue to pray every night for all my brothers and sisters in ems/fire to return home safely from every call.

It's a sad day every time we have to say a final farewell to our comrades in ems. It should be known that those who perished in this horrific accident today should not be pitied for they died doing what they love. And to me it's heroes of this caliber that put their patients' lives first and commit to saving them at all costs that should be epitomized. We in the EMS community as well as the civilized world have lost 6 truly brave and selfless heroes today. My thoughts and prayers go with the families and coworkers of those we lost and I continue to pray every night for all my brothers and sisters in ems/fire to return home safely from every call.

If its all the same to you, I'm going to go ahead and pity the people who died in this horrible tragedy, and pity their families as well. Fire and EMS is not about doing things at all costs. Its about getting your job done and going home at the end of the night.

That's it. All to often I see people write statements such as "they are heroes the job is dangerous" and "they died doing what they loved." Since when was our job dangerous? Why do we continue to accept this type of thinking? Ever had a close call with your life? I am not sure many people die doing what they love.

I pity friends, family, and the people who will not come home at the end of their shift as well. This is truley unacceptable IMHO. However, perhaps it is more appropriate to focus on supporting friends and family and dedicate another thread to discussing the problems and solutions of the industry.

Take care,

chbare.

Is this controlled or uncontrolled air space?... Is there a tower calling out the location of other a/c in this area, or are you self announcing on approach...

Seems to me that they failed to "maintain visual separation ".... Also do they have ADSB/ or a flight following dispatcher that can tell them the location and altitude of other A/C in the area .?????

Very sad, prayers go out to the family members .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.