Bat-Belt or Cargo Pocket

So, ponder this. When you go to work, do you put everything in a pouch on your belt, or cargo pocket? I put my shears, penlight, ALS field guide, and ears in my cargo pocket.

I have EMS pants so on the outside I have my shears a pen and a pen light. In the left cargo pocket I have my BP cuff and the right I have my Littman stethoscope. I always have my own sthethoscope. I also have my field guide and a few pairs of gloves. Or I have all my stuff in my backpack.

Im more like the old timers here...... gloves in a pocket, and a pen in the shirt, and thats it unless I have to carry a portable radio.

That said, I have seen others with cargo pant pockets so full they cant get a seatbelt on and personal cell, company cell, pager, portable radio, scissors, knife and glove pouch on their belts..... Just makes ya wonder how they can carry that, another 30 lbs jump kit, monitor and drag a gurney a few hundred feet without being exhausted by the time you get to the call.....

With time, you'll find that all you really need is your 5 senses to know if you have a problem.

Diabetes Insipidis =)

Originally described by Ceasar Augustus' physician to test for sugar in the urine.....

Or to differenciate heat stroke between sweat and just water poured on the patient...

How about that for pulling some BS outa my butt?

As I said, I was just pullin it out of my [s:3a8c0ef24d]ass[/s:3a8c0ef24d].....

I do remember something about tasting the urine for sugar content, obviously it was DM, not DI.

From Wiki:

"Signs and symptoms: Excessive urination and extreme thirst (especially for cold water and sometimes ice or ice water) are typical for DI. Symptoms of diabetes insipidus are quite similar to those of untreated diabetes mellitus, with the distinction that the urine is not sweet as it does not contain glucose and there is no hyperglycemia (elevated blood glucose). Blurred vision is a rarity. Signs of dehydration may also appear in some individuals since the body cannot conserve much (if any) of the water it takes in.

The extreme urination continues throughout the day and the night. In children, DI can interfere with appetite, eating, weight gain, and growth as well. They may present with fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. Adults with untreated DI may remain healthy for decades as long as enough water is drunk to offset the urinary losses. However, there is a continuous risk of dehydration."

So if ya dont know if youre dealing with DM or DI, taste the urine. So there is the use of the sense of taste...... BTW, what was the topic again?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.