To Swerve or Not, That is the Question, Deer in the Road

spenac

I think it depends on if there is a pt. in the back or not and if you have an out. I don't want to undertake any sort of sudden maneuver if my partner and the pt. are in the back of the squad. However, if we're both up front and buckled in, I'm less inclined to plow through the deer if I can avoid it, if I have an "out," and if I can do so without causing an accident.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lady that swerved in her truck to miss a rabbit, left the road and rolled killing her husband. (The rabbit did survive).

I personally never swerve in the ambulance, I have hit 2 deer at the same time that were running in tandem, I had a patient, paramedic, and nurse on board. I told them to hang on, let off the accelerator and let her buck.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I swerved and hit the brakes.

Those in the back should be buckled in too

I always tell patients that ambulances don't ride like a Cadillac. Many times I wish I was buckled in, but having to move around a lot sometimes prevented that. Get a hold on the OMG bar and hang on. YEE HAW

hit the deer, make sure it's dead, if it isn't slit it's throat to make sure it's dead.

then bundle it up and put it in a side compartment of the ambulance.

take the patient into the ER, then go out to the ambulance garage and gut the deer.

PUll out the deer fetus, give it to the x-ray tech for her sons science project and then gather the deer and take it to a deer processing center and get several pounds of venison.

Make sure you keep the lower legs and nail them to a board.

Sounds far fetched doesn't it?

It's' a true story

Wonder how many deer steaks you could cut if you just hit the front of him?

I worked for a service in rural missouri

had a crew go out on a call to a chest pain. the guy was 26, got in an argument with the galpal. She said she was gonna leave him, he did the wussy thing and said he had chest pain and she called ems. The crew started driving to his house which was 24 miles away.

They hit a deer. They kept going. They got the pussy er I mean patient and started back

They came upon the deer which was still alive but it's back hind end was really busted up. The driver stopped and then slit the deer throat.

Discussion ensued, decision was to put deer in side compartment of ambulance for future deer meat usage.

They get the patient to the ER, take him inside then go to the ambulance garage(hospital based ems)

They gut the deer, pull out a deer baby. Put the baby in formalin and give it to the X-ray tech for her son's science project. She showed it to the entire hospital(it was a slow nightshift)

They proceeded to spray down the ambulance garage and then pack the deer in ice from the ER ice machine.

They take the deer to the processing center and get about 12 pounds of meat.

They removed it's lower legs and put them on a board.

They got suspended for a couple of days, the state came down and did an investigation

ER medical director really really pissed, admin really pissed.

I would have been on the call but I went home sick so someone was definately looking out for me.

Comical now, not comical then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.