CHECK YOUR TRUCK !

How many of you thoroughly check your truck daily?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• Every day
    • Every week
    • Every month
    • Only when we're getting inspected
    • I don't

One thing I highly suggest is a check list for everything. It systematically let's you be sure to cover everything. And to have on file in case of accident, fire, theft, anything that can cause you to lose equiptment. That way it can be covered by insurance and that you are properly stocked. Do NOT "short cut" it or "pencil whip it. I've see where an ALS unit was not properly documented so the insurance company said there was no proof of equiptment, so they would only replace what the state requirements were for a BLS unit. If you don't have one for each unit in your service, then make one. And keep it on file for at least one year, if not longer. You may want to check with your resource hospital and insurance company.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old VAC had a policy, even if you were riding 3 6 hour tours sequentially, with the same partners, at the beginning of each 6 hours, a "rig check" was to be performed, a checklist checked, as per NYS Public Health Law 800.

FDNY EMS does much the same, but the tours are 8 hours, and the checklist is on the envelope in which you submit your completed call reports. You know the supervisor is going to see them, as the supervisor has to sign off on the envelope.

You CYA, and so does the supervisor, who doesn't want "failure to supervise" charges brought against themselves. You know what rolls downhill!

I've pulled several expired NaCl bags off the truck that were two weeks past expiration. Had a portable O2 tank without any O2 in it on a ped arrest, and had expired reglan show up in my truck.

Everything gets checked, every shift. No exceptions. It's your certification on the line if something is missing/expired, so trust no one.

I work 48 on 72 off, I show up 30 minutes to an hour before my shift to make sure my truck is checked off. We check every truck, even the backline trucks, every day. At the end of our shift, the off-going crew is required to check all oxygen on all trucks to make sure they don't need changed out. I've had partners who would tell me everything is fine and the truck is ready to go and would find things missing or not working. I check everything myself now.

I like doing the rig check. The routine helps me get into the right frame of mind for what I need to do. When the tones go off, I KNOW that everything I need is where I need it - can't buy that kind of peace of mind and confidence.

I check everything at the beginning of my shift - everytime.

we spread its cheeks every morning. all fluid levels, function checks on all equipment. expiration dates on drugs, fluids, fire extinguisher. all lights, the cooler. triangles, throw rope. Seems like my shift is the only one that gets oil changed, replaces the main O2, etc.

Truck is checked at 7am and 7pm every day, even if the supervisor on the truck is working a 24 (the crews don't). Glucometer and monitor are tested per user instructions during the day shift. Supervisors are responsible for a narc check when they come on, regardless of whether they're doing a night or day. If we're on a 24 we only have to check once because only we have a key.

The med box is tagged, supervisor is responsible for checking the log and recording the tag #. It's my job to inventory that every other week and replace expiring items are needed. I usually stay a month and a half ahead at least.

The crew usually does most of the check, with the assistance of a checklist that comes back to me to sign. Helps the less-experienced members get more familiar with the truck. Most of the roster only work once a week, and the weekend night crews only work every other week (they're usually the senior folks though).

Ditto everyone on checking the truck out before the start of each shift. I've had crews leave empty main/portable O2, understocked IV kits, expired fluid, basic supplies not restocked (BVM, NRB, etc), and on and on. There's nothing quite so embarassing as showing up on scene and not having what you need to properly treat your patient.

Time is usually 15-20mins, but it can go longer if the last crew left the truck a disaster.

I check out my truck from stem to stern every day. I have been screwed before as well when I have listened for to people that had been on the truck the prior day. O2 is out on the cot, jump bag is missing something, or the truck just wants to start. So I check everything off, the combitubes, BVM's, monitor, all the fluids, on the truck and in the truck. Everything I tell you everything. I can't always count on the people that were on the truck before me so I never trust them when they say, "everything is good.. we restocked this morning" good for you I say, I'm still gonna check it out :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.