Spanked = Dialysis

The spanking may have lead to rhabdomyolysis which might have necessitated the dialysis. Difficult to explain the colostomy unless there was a little Justin Volpe action involved.

The spanking may have lead to rhabdomyolysis which might have necessitated the dialysis. Difficult to explain the colostomy unless there was a little Justin Volpe action involved.

I was hoping that you'd post here, Doc. No penetration noted. Any way that pressure on the rectum could have caused some kind of spasm of the colon? Other than possibly hitting high striking the flank/kidney area can there be direct trauma to the kidney.

I was hoping that you'd post here, Doc. No penetration noted. Any way that pressure on the rectum could have caused some kind of spasm of the colon? Other than possibly hitting high striking the flank/kidney area can there be direct trauma to the kidney.

Again, it's hard to explain the colostomy without penetration. I'd be reaching, but maybe some sort of ischemic event from the renal failure?

Rarely do Paramedics ever get see what some of those perceived minor injuries can turn into. Even some ER doctors do not want to hear about what may happen to the patient in the course of treatment once they leave the ER. The fond memories of keeping the patient's heart beating until the OR or ICU is enough. Infection, sepsis, renal failure and ischemic bowel are things sometimes expected and can usually be treated effectively or NOT. Resistant and multiple strains of infection can occur with even the simplest skin break from a needle. Infections can also originate from prehospital and inhospital procedures.

Slightly off topic but I believe the article I'm referencing below has been required reading in almost every hospital for every healthcare professional since the Medicare announcement last year for no reimbursement for hospital acquired infections.

The Checklist

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12...fa_fact_gawande

Slightly off topic but I believe the article I'm referencing below has been required reading in almost every hospital for every healthcare professional since the Medicare announcement last year for no reimbursement for hospital acquired infections.

The Checklist

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/12...fa_fact_gawande

Outstanding article. Reminds me of a drowning I may start a new topic on here.

Did you read all 8 pages? The other case examples get more intense.

I just got to read the first page, the shower is calling. I was planning on coming back to it.

ERDoc, I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed that I actually know that reference you just made.

ERDoc, I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed that I actually know that reference you just made.

I didn't think about out international membership when I said that, but I'm sure a simple google search will help for those that are curious enough. Not one of NYC's finer moments.

I didn't think about out international membership when I said that, but I'm sure a simple google search will help for those that are curious enough. Not one of NYC's finer moments.

I do remember that.