Advice please for new PCP student

I'm new to the whole EMS world. I'm just finishing grade 12 (so yah, I'm a complete 'newbe' in all aspects). I have just gotten accepted to a collage for the PCP course. I had done some ride alongs, although there hasn't been much for calls, I really enjoyed the experience. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or heads ups that they would like to share. Advice being anything from what i should expect from schooling, to the emt profession, to anything else anyone would like to share. Thanks!

Here is what you can expect from SIAST

Very professional progressive school.

Huge academic workload.

Class of about 20 students

When you start make sure you have no other drama in your life, this will consume you (and it should)

From EMS you can expect:

Hours of boredom interupted by periods of high stress!

So are you taking a full time program?

Where are you hoping to work when you finish?

Have you considered taking an A&P course before PCP school?

I'm taking it in Saskatchewan and its a part time course, through SIAST but in a different location. I kind of have a job lined up in the same town where I'm taking the course. I'm not sure what an A&P course is but, the plan is to take the EMR course and get the class 4 license and drive ambulance while I got to school on the part time basis. I've decided on a part time course so I could work while I'm going to shcool.

I started the summer between my 11th and 12th yrs. of school myself, so I know exactly where you are standing. Just stay focused and learn all you can. You'll be cramming a lot, but academically and in the field. Where your peer's most pressing issue is how to cover a zit or getting lucky somehow, you're going to be out there with lives on the line. Be ready for it. It it's something you really want, don't get discouraged, and you'll make it. More power to ya, and good luck.

If you want to run a high 90's average in your PCP course, I would suggest taking APHY 189 through SIAST before starting PCP. I took it myself and the class dubbed me "Anatomy boy", believe me it helped alot, I cannot stress that enough. It is a distance course and costs less than a grand.

Anyway, are you taking the course in Rosetown? Swift? Davidson?

I took it through Rosetown, then I also did my ICP in Rosetown.

BTW welcome to the site :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.