CFD Medics and racial slurs over the radio

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had said some people, I'd agree. I would not agree with many.

Actually I'm going to have to disagree. Many people would have problems putting their beliefs aside. Core beliefs are pretty hard to put aside.

No matter what people say, no matter if they say they can put aside their beliefs it still comes down to how they feel about a certain person, ethnicity, sexual preference et al.

You can treat a person medically without issue but in the back of your mind that core belief is still there.

Minor things that you don't see yourself doing, come out. Your tone of voice, your actions, your distancing that all comes out subconsciously(sic) and I would bet that you dont' even see or notice yourself doing it.

It would be interesting how many people here would say they could put them aside yet if video taped on a call with someone of the type we are talking about, you could probably point out the little things that are done without the person knowing it. I'm sure that the person doing the things I talk about would see it in their mannerisms and actions. Be they not so subtle or be they very very subtle.

I'd like to think that I can put aside my racial and other stereotypes or biases and I'll bet I'd be near 99% in doing so but there is that 1% that would prove me to be biased I'm sure.

I work with a lesbian colleague. Great person, wonderful kind hearted person but her lifestyle I disagree with significantly. I asked her this the other day, since we are rolling off this project tomorrow - "did you perceive any different treatment or attitude towards you that I didn't exhibit with the other straight co-workers?" She said yes she did but she said that it was very very minimal. She said she knew my views and understood them but she still said that I treated her a little bit differently.

For the life of me I felt that she and I were very very close friends yet I still treated her slightly differently of which I did not notice it.

I endeavor to do a better job of treating everyone the same. I think that falls into the 1%.

Just my ramblings.

I'd like to think that I can put aside my racial and other stereotypes or biases and I'll bet I'd be near 99% in doing so but there is that 1% that would prove me to be biased I'm sure.

While I agree with your numbers, I disagree with your final conclusion. I think that one-percent only proves my biases to be well founded.

And just because I think I am better than others does not mean I don't believe they deserve quality care. That assumption is a non-sequitor.

While I agree with your numbers, I disagree with your final conclusion. I think that one-percent only proves my biases to be well founded.

And just because I think I am better than others does not mean I don't believe they deserve quality care. That assumption is a non-sequitor.

No arguments there with ya dust. Yes that 1% is probably the number of patients who really deserve our bias. But with people who say that they would put aside their opinions and provide unbiased care I have to disagree with their premise also. And that also proves my premise.

But that one percent are not the victims of bias. They are simply reaping what they sow. The remaining ninety-nine percent proves my premise.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started in this business, a nurse taught everyone in my course to treat everyone like their own parents regardless of race, sex, blah blah blah. I thought this was good advice until a guy in the back of the room said, "I hate my parents." You could hear a pin drop in the room. She dropped her head.

I treat everyone like a friend I haven't seen in years no matter if they are happy to see me or not. It's my way.

I don't think that a prejudiced person can put it all aside, maybe most but not all. IMHO, most prejudiced persons look at who ever in a way that justifies their belief. It seems to me that they look for a reason to treat people differently. Once they are given that reason, they seem to be vindicated in their views.

One key word here is "tolerance". You may not like someone for whichever reason, but you can tolerate them. Many times it wasn't always the pt. I had tolerating but the friends and / or family surrounding us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.