What would you & handle this situation ?

Relief Comes in After Partying  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• I would go ahead & go home .. He'll get through it... no obvious ETOH
    • Ask him are you sure your O.K. ... enough to work.. let him decide
    • Tell him if does not leave on his own, you will report him
    • Call Supervisor immediately, inform him of situation

I have been lucky in that this has only happenned on two occasions and both people went in for a couple hours to sleep it off while I covered their shifts. sometimes people dont realize how bad of shape they are in unless someone tells them.

Now had these people refused to go home, I would first talk to their partner for the day to see whether they are willing to accept the liability this persons poses, as well as to get a second opinion. If at that time the partner thinks they should go home and they refuse, youre without an option but to contact a supervisor and put it in their hands. You might lose a friend, but you wont put the public at risk.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would first talk to the person, they may not like what I would say but that is okay, if something is impairing any ones judgment in this field it could mean someones life. If that person didn't won't to go home or take another action to solve the matter at hand, I would then take it up a higher step in the chain of command. If that person needed help in dealing with something I would do all I could to help them. However the safety of everyone is the most important thing. No matter what the reason is, if they are unclear to function like they should then they need to step back until they are clear headed and function properly. This even goes for cold medicine or anything else.

I think I'll go with what has been said already. I'd handle it without anyone else getting involved, but make it very clear that they were not riding today and that I was doing them a favor by not getting one else involved. If they persisted, I would involve who ever I had too. If it became chronic, then I'd have to bring them to whoever.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.