The one piece of gear....

My stethoscope. Not because I'm overly fussy but because I don't like using ears that have been in everyone else's ears.

My stethoscope. Not because I'm overly fussy but because I don't like using ears that have been in everyone else's ears.
Exactly. I can't think of anything more disgusting.

As for my most important piece of gear, I don't consider my partner or my brain gear, is the monitor. While I use my abilities to assess a patient, I like the monitor to help confirm my findings.

I would say the MagLite. It has many uses. You can use it to protect yourself from dogs or violent pts. You can use it to help you find that last drunk guy at the MVA that was thrown into the woods. You can use it to make sure you are not stepping in anything unpleasant when you are in the house/apartment that has no electricity at 3 am. Also makes a great learning tool for teaching FNGs how to play dodgeball (If you can dodge my MagLite, you can dodge a ball).

Also makes a great learning tool for teaching FNGs how to play dodgeball (If you can dodge my MagLite, you can dodge a ball).

We just send them into traffic. (If you can dodge a car, you can dodge a ball!!)

Three items I always have:

1. Two pens--one always walks off

2. SHARP scissors--the ones the department offers suck

3. Gloves--usually two pairs

Since the OP was asking for the ONE item we value above all others, I'll go with my flashlight. Great for finding stuff in the dark, checking pupils, and maneuvering my way to my cot without having to flick on the overhead lights. :lol:

Since I'm in a completely different environment than most of you, my Zune. For most of the night, I'm sitting in front of a computer watching for security alarms. May as well blast some music while I wait...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.