Awesome Paramedic school I applied too

Hey Mobey,

I've gone now to the information sessions for both Augustana and Portage, to be quite honest there doesn't seem to be much difference between the delivery methods of both schools. I think that will choose Augustana, just because its closer. However, I think the whole canoe trip is a stupid idea, I'd much rather be using the time to learn in the classroom.

Learning on a canoe trip/Learning in a cramped classroom..... bah each to thier own I guess.

Anyway to update anyone who is interested, I was accepted into the program and will be starting in Sept.

(Maybe I'll see ya there HellsBells, you'll know it's me because I used an actual self-portrait for my avatar)

<-----------------

Seems like an interesting program to me...seems like it's trying to get away from traditional style of teaching and more interaction with students. This is important to teach students to interact with their coworkers / team members (rather than compete...one of the goals mobey listed)....as a side effect it will probably lead to more discussion on lecture material throughout the course which is a great learning tool.

The way I see it is the lead instructor has a PhD in adult education as well as 20 yrs as a Paramedic, he should know what he is doing, as controversial as it may be. Alot of stress is put on professionalism and advancing the industry.

I relied heavely on reputation when choosing the school I wanted to attend and this school has a good one. I have talked to a few preceptors and employers and they are all very satisfied with the quality of the medics this program turns out. Not only is it one of the longest Paramedic programms offered in AB, it appears to be one of the highest quality.

With Mobey as he never really discusses education. He focuses on the fun. Just want to make sure we're not being played.

Jeez I was reading this thread through again when I stumbled upon this personal attack I missed earlier.

I don't know what I have EVER posted to make you think I am the type to "focus on the fun". I have always been a strong advocate of sound education. Where did you come up with this statement??

It should be noted that I took my EMT in Sask because thier program is longer and far more in depth than any in offered here in Alberta, then I moved to AB to live and work..... Sounds like an education focused guy to me!

• 1 month later...

Sounds interesting...in response to an earlier post in the thread about the class/program moving from UofA to a CC...it's a 2 year program, no? It probably is more logistically sound to have a 2 year program out of a CC and get an AA, rather than no degree as a 2 year program at a 4 year university. Just a guess.

The previous pages are interesting (for the most part) about the whole team work thing. Just a little thought on that...If we aren't part of a team, how do we get the patient to the hospital? Can't do it as a team of 1. My personal experience with this is at my old fire department...my former captain and my EMT partner are two of my best friends. We had the understanding that I as the medic was in charge for medical things, but as a captain, had control over everything else. Let me tell you...the three of us were like a super well oiled machine. The more critical the patient, the more quiet we got (except for absolute necessary info, ie vitals, etc.). Everyone knew where and what they needed to do, and how to do it. The department is still a "podunk" little department with lots of problems, however I would have felt confident that if you pitted the three of us against ANY OTHER TEAM in EMS, we'd come out on top. It was amazingly good. By that same token, I've had partners that sucked and I had to tell them what and how to do everything. Much prefer the "team mentality."

• 1 year later...
Just had to share this school's curriculum with ya'll

Full 2 year program through a major University.

The school's primary focus is "Professionalism through teamwork"

In the first week of school we go on a 3 day canoe trip (with some rapids), as we learn introduction to paramedicine. We also meet with a former NHL player to set personal fitness goals for the 2 year period, and yes if those goals are not met it will affect our final mark. The "understudy" of this trip is to learn comradery, and work together with the theory we will apply it to our workplaces in the future.

Our instructor is hellbent on getting rid of the following closed minded ways of thinking in EMS, such as:

"We eat our young"

"Antecdote based EMS"

"Paragod syndrome"

Anyway throughout the years we will be playing hockey, swimming, foot racing, and doing research projects together.

After the pre-entrance exam there was a one on one interview where questions were asked like: "What do you do for fun", "What kind of books do you read", "How will your wife deal with the extra stress?" etc etc.

I asked him at the end of the interview if he wanted my credentials (I have a few extra). He replied "No, You are still young enough to teach, but you too old to change your attitude, if you have a good attitude I will teach you what you need to know to be a Paramedic."

"Remember" he reinforced "We are shaping health care professionals at this school, not just Paramedics".

Anyway it sounds awesome and i should hear back next week.

Well Mobey, you and I are out on the other side of this program now, any closing thoughts on the program? Would you still recomend it to prospective paramedic students?

• 6 months later...

The team has no bearing whatsoever on how good you are. They can make you look better, but they cannot make you better. And making you look better is a false sense of success. It's a crutch that dooms you to mediocrity. I don't care how good my "team" is. I only care about how good I am, and how well the team listens to me and follows my directions.

If it has no relevance explain the day we (Student Nurses) spent running round the peak district doing a 'treasure hunt' .

If it has no relevance explain the reason we set 'ridiculous' scenarios as part of CPD and then artificially restrict the assistance available ( no HART/SORT , No Helimed , no fire+rescue) to make people think out the box rather than just say ' call for help '

there is no 'I' in team , but equally TEAM stands for Together Everyone Annoys Me ! there is a balalnce to be struck between the provider who cannot function without their team to back them up and a paragod who rejects the value of the team ...