Awesome Paramedic school I applied too

Just had to share this school's curriculum with ya'll

Full 2 year program through a major University.

The school's primary focus is "Professionalism through teamwork"

In the first week of school we go on a 3 day canoe trip (with some rapids), as we learn introduction to paramedicine. We also meet with a former NHL player to set personal fitness goals for the 2 year period, and yes if those goals are not met it will affect our final mark. The "understudy" of this trip is to learn comradery, and work together with the theory we will apply it to our workplaces in the future.

Our instructor is hellbent on getting rid of the following closed minded ways of thinking in EMS, such as:

"We eat our young"

"Antecdote based EMS"

"Paragod syndrome"

Anyway throughout the years we will be playing hockey, swimming, foot racing, and doing research projects together.

After the pre-entrance exam there was a one on one interview where questions were asked like: "What do you do for fun", "What kind of books do you read", "How will your wife deal with the extra stress?" etc etc.

I asked him at the end of the interview if he wanted my credentials (I have a few extra). He replied "No, You are still young enough to teach, but you too old to change your attitude, if you have a good attitude I will teach you what you need to know to be a Paramedic."

"Remember" he reinforced "We are shaping health care professionals at this school, not just Paramedics".

Anyway it sounds awesome and i should hear back next week.

If you don't mind my asking Mobey which school did you apply to? Sounds like a program worth checking out.

C'mon you gotta explain.

Dust likes eating the young. :wink: Mmmmm... younglings. You didn't mention the Paramedic courses involved in the program. You only mentioned some of the team-building exercises. I suspect that's a big part of Dust's concern. Sounds a little bit like sunshine coming out of everyones rear at first glance. Myself I think these kind of programs could have some promise if the entrance process is carefully monitored to avoid some of the riff-raff who would be attracted to the program.