Crazy People let baby near a venomous snake

WendyT

Nice to see the old clips resurfacing.

I actually had a more in depth article explaining this when the video first made rounds but to no avail, I can not find it at the moment.

However, snopes.com adds a little insght.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/babycobra.asp

The article I had stated how this was a cultural tradition and the cobra is defanged and mouth is secured shut as to prevent any real harm.

Seeing as how these precautions are done, it is still wrong because its different??

Right??

I don't consider myself too squeamish in regards to snakes, but a breed of hooded cobra and a crawling baby on the same carpet? To the best of my knowledge, snakes are not trainable to "play nice". Remove the fangs, and the snake dies.

Admittedly, my snake knowledge is potentially with holes in it big enough to drive a B-52 Bomber through them.

That video frightened and angered me, enough to file child abuse charges if it was filmed in the US!

I'm betting they had its fangs completely removed. I can't see how it wouldn't have it the baby after all those times it lashed out.

Herpetologists will quickly tell you that 'defanging' a snake is near an exercise in futility...they keep several 'sets' of fangs in reserve, and the fangs are 'regenerated' as a new 'set' is used.

Lone Star said

Herpetologists will quickly tell you that 'defanging' a snake is near an exercise in futility...they keep several 'sets' of fangs in reserve, and the fangs are 'regenerated' as a new 'set' is used.

So, Lone Star, do you have any Herpetologist friends to ask how long most hooded cobras take to generate venom after being "milked" of it?

I still think that even a milked cobra would have had their fangs become puncture wounds on the baby if it had actually struck, instead of using it's snout to, for lack of a better term, "punch" the baby in the head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.