Rig staffed with Medic and EMT

Would you consider an EMT-Enhanced Basic a partner or bigger liability? I just heard about this but in the regions surrounding mine, they are "developing" enhanced basics, they can start IVs and I believe they can read and use EKGs. I personally see this as a way to get the "bigger/basic" paramedic skills at the pay of a Basic.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by stating I'm an intermediate in the state of Mass. That being said, what I can offer my paramedic partner in the way of "skills" is a little bit more than what a basic can, but not much. Sure, I can start IV's and get tubes, but that's it. Even tho' I have many years in the field and make every attempt to advance my education (yes, medic school is coming), I cannot legally offer my partner much beyond IV's and tubes.

It's very frustrating that I went through intermediate school only to end up behind the wheel on most calls. I should have just went paramedic. Live and learn...

Would you consider an EMT-Enhanced Basic a partner or bigger liability? I just heard about this but in the regions surrounding mine, they are "developing" enhanced basics, they can start IVs and I believe they can read and use EKGs. I personally see this as a way to get the "bigger/basic" paramedic skills at the pay of a Basic.

"Enhanced Basics"? Isn't that what a paramedic already is?

If you want to be allowed to perform ALS procedures, enroll in a paramedic program. Otherwise, don't bother. There is so much more to paramedic education than the occasional monkey skill.

You're beginning to catch on. Wasn't it your state official who said "paramedics are only good for rare heart conditions, anyway?" =D>

My personal feeling on this is that we should have P/P rigs. I feel that for vol. departments it is acceptable to have B's and I's but not in paid departments. The reason for this is two fold, first of all during the transport of a patient there are few calls that you can be sure will not turn to ALS, and if it does and the BLS provider is in the back then what, are you going to pull over so that the partners can switch. The second reason that i feel and it is more hypothetical than anything is that it would create a more effective team and due to law of supply and demand would raise the overall pay for paramedics.

You're beginning to catch on. Wasn't it your state official who said "paramedics are only good for rare heart conditions, anyway?" =D>

I have no idea, but I would not be suprised. The state seems to be very interested in micro-managing and making terribly terribly slow changes with the advancements made in the field.

Dude, you're still not getting it. I/we would like a medic partner, not someone who can do some extra skills. Someone who could take their turn at the complete patient care from beginning to end. Not start the IV and jump in the driver's seat.

It only takes a few seconds to start an IV. Not much help there. What is the point of reading an EKG if you can't treat it?. Thanks for your help but if I have to read the EKG anyway since I have to treat it, again, that's no help either.

Do yourself a favour and go to medic school. Enroll in a Degree programme and come join the rest of us in 2 years. Then you will begin to understand what were talking about. I'm sure you'll be a fine medic someday.

Dude, you're still not getting it. I/we would like a medic partner, not someone who can do some extra skills. Someone who could take their turn at the complete patient care from beginning to end. Not start the IV and jump in the driver's seat.

It only takes a few seconds to start an IV. Not much help there. What is the point of reading an EKG if you can't treat it?. Thanks for your help but if I have to read the EKG anyway since I have to treat it, again, that's no help either.

Do yourself a favour and go to medic school. Enroll in a Degree programme and come join the rest of us in 2 years. Then you will begin to understand what were talking about. I'm sure you'll be a fine medic someday.

Sorry I guess I failed at my attempt to be sarcastic. I was just making a point about the fact of our governing agencies are willing to do what ever to make your points about being on a P/P truck mute. Seems like they are trying to phase out the basic and medic, and make them one and the same.

Why do EMT's even exist???? Why not go to school and BAM!,your a paramedic. Why have all the different "levels"? All programs should be revamped. No EMT-B,I,OPQRST, just 2 years and then kablaam, Paramedic. :occasion9: :cheers:

Why do EMT's even exist???? Why not go to school and BAM!,your a paramedic. Why have all the different "levels"? All programs should be revamped. No EMT-B,I,OPQRST, just 2 years and then kablaam, Paramedic. :occasion9: :cheers:

Well, in about 2 years you can become a nurse, so its not such a bad idea. Although I'm not sure if anyone goes KABLAAM when you graduate nursing school. God forbid we should have one standardized level of care on ambulances around the country.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.