FDNY EMTs do not let Private Medics help with choking child

akflightmedic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there really isn't anything to analyze here. It looks like FDNY's leadership is playing "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" and only a moran would think that they did the right thing ("Oh, look, it's the paramedics! Time to leave! Durrr!"). Unfortunately, the only thing left to do is poke fun at the stupidity of a system that would allow this with only a slap on the wrist.

that picture made me laugh hysterically!!!

Fire Basic, "But if we'd stopped, those stupid medics would have just wasted a bunch of time on scene! They they would have dicked around and this boy probably would have.....Oh hell...just sec...let me think for a minute."

Note: My disparaging comments directed at these basics only, and on the assumption that they understood ALS was attempting to enter the ambulance and that there had been no dialog between them previous to their attempt to do so.

Dwayne

They are going to be "remedieled" (spelling?).

Is that a New York term for "decertified and sued for malpractice"?

And WTF is an EMT-B doing as a lieutenant? Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Just please tell me that they'll be shoving those bars up her arse. And what are three of them doing on one truck anyhow?

You know, I guess you just have to poke fun, because the thought that anyone can continue to get paid, after possibly causing (unclear) or helping to cause the death of a child, while being temporarily demoted to a job they'd rather have anyway, because of a turf war, is too tragic to digest all at once. (I would like to submit this to the academy as the longest sentence ever. Thank you.)

Dwayne

Sorry Dwayne, I only had to stop and breathe once whilst reading that sentence. Better than some of the posts I've read here that required high flow O2 afterwards.

Perhaps the Union this idiots belong to saved there ass temporarily. I foresee 3 squares and cot with daily exercise in their near future.

These "EMT's" definitely need to be disciplined. However, if this is a "turf war", how many others have suffered because of it? Fire vs Private.... what happened to interoperability and cooperation? Did EMS not learn anything? Or did FDNY and their "HERO" mentality not learn anything?

As a matter of personal policy, I try not to comment on cases based on what is in the newspaper. Try to remember, our papers here in NYC sell themselves by sensationalizing stories. Its how they make money. If you ever have the time, do an archive search of the Daily News and the New York Post and how gradually over time, the tones of their 'reporting' towards the detectives changed as the facts came to light in the Sean Bell case. I'm not defending anything that may have happened on this case; I'm merely saying take what the Daily News claims as gospel with a grain of salt.

Addressing what Dustdevil said, yes, you don't need to be a paramedic to be a Lieutenant or any higher officer with the current system. No, I don't agree with it. Its one of my biggest frustrations. However, the FDNY has only limited control over promotional standards, the rest is left to the overall civil service agency of NYC, known as DCAS. The latest standards for promotion do require a paramedic certification for promotion. Its only taken them about 25 years.

Heah Asys, I thought the new standrad only said "paramedic certified preferrred"

Having worked in NYC EMS for many years, i always had a problem with EMT's supervising medics, but where the system is largely BLS they feel it is OK to have some EMT bosses. They even have some that are Capt. and D/C's

Heah Asys, I thought the new standrad only said "paramedic certified preferrred"

Having worked in NYC EMS for many years, i always had a problem with EMT's supervising medics, but where the system is largely BLS they feel it is OK to have some EMT bosses. They even have some that are Capt. and D/C's

The latest and greatest DCAS standards actually say "paramedic certification REQUIRED at time of promotion." I'll see if I can find a link for you. So right now, as this latest test stands, you can take it as an EMT but you'll need to be a medic by the time your number comes up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.