Personal Question

This is a personal question concerning me, for the whole board, whether a newbie or old guard. Is some of my "old school" and time out of the field leaving me behind in some of my posts and comments. Be honest. You're not going to hurt my feelings one bit.

I've e-mailed a buddy of mine to see if I can sit in on some classes, especially some ACLS classes and maybe some medic classes. Everyone here has seen my posts.

At one time a medic I worked with who we worked up the ranks to

gether until I had to get out of the field, who is now a Fire Chief, would use me as an example of hard work and dedication said that I had probably forgotten more about EMS than most medics in their entire careers. But being on here I really feel like I've fallen behind. It's sort of frustrating. But I would really like to know how I compare to others here. I just don't feel like posting as someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about half the time.

And a side note. I appreciate and respect everyone here, mostly.

I would have sent this to everyone PM but couldn't figure out how to do multiple listings.

Wayland

firedoc5

ps: No, I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just trying to get a feel where I stand.

Yeah, you might be a little rusty. But, that doesn't mean you don't have a lot of good information and knowledge to pass on in your posts. If somebody corrects or criticizes your posts, it may give you a reference as to what you need to review OR defend your views. Not everyone that corrects someone is always correct. Also, others may have had the same questions or presumed something to be true through "heresay".

Example:

When you used hyperventilate to mean hyperoxygenate, you are not alone. Many people do that without actually thinking through the meanings of the words. It's just "what everybody else says" in the field. It may not have even been noticed if you didn't happen to be discussing this on a forum with an RRT.

I've been corrected by some of the best on this forum and have corrected some of the perceived best. For some, I just agree to disagree on a few things.

It is nice to have your perspective. All on here at times learn something new. Please keep posting and don't let any of our comments which sadly at times come across a little harsh, stop you.

Hey I as an experienced EMS professional and current Paramedic student always love when experienced people are willing to set an example by continuing to educate themselves rather than getting the patch and then no more effort.

as long as you are continuing your education, taking whatever CEU/CMT classes that will help you in your career, as long as you are taking acls, pals, and the alphabet soup classes. As long as you do what you can in the short amount of time that everyone seems to have these days, you will always be on the right track.

What happens is when you believe the mantra that once learned always learned then you become another one of the cookbook medics who we all know.

Oh, I don't need to relearn that, I already know it. But do you really.

Your posts are good, information you pass along is good info.

I see nothing wrong with your posts but you should continue to learn.

Learning doesn't end with getting your patch. You can also learn things other than EMS and that helps round you out with overall knowledge.

Look at me, I'm a walking fountain of useless information but it's what I do best. I have forgotten a lot about ems in the past 6 years but I'm still current as I can be.

Example:

When you used hyperventilate to mean hyperoxygenate, you are not alone. Many people do that without actually thinking through the meanings of the words. It's just "what everybody else says" in the field. It may not have even been noticed if you didn't happen to be discussing this on a forum with an RRT.

I've been corrected by some of the best on this forum and have corrected some of the perceived best. For some, I just agree to disagree on a few things.

Hyperoxygenate is exactly what I was meaning, just miswording on my part. #-o

Many of the changes in EMS come down to technology. Either being used in the field or being used in the lab to change our ideas on how the human body works. The changes you are seeing are just the tip of the iceberg. Everyday new discoveries are being made and new theories are being tested.

For many years emergency medicine took a back seat to other specialties. Now the changes seem to be coming on a daily basis due to the change in emphasis on emergency medicine. Partially because once again we are country at war. The things being learned in Iraq and Afghanistan are making it over here. Quik-Clot for example. Hell think about tourniquets, they were a taboo. Now uniform companies are offering ACU's with built in tourniquets.

I've often said that the treatment for snakebites changes so often it should be written in pencil in protocol manuals. Emergency Medicine is a dynamic specialty and that is a positive thing. Everyday a new study is being released and a new theory is being tried. This in time will make EMS a more active part of healthcare and a better provider to our patients.

Does this mean that the core concepts of EMS have changed? No. Does this mean that 'Old School' providers have no place in EMS? Of course not. We are still the frontline of medicine, we still do out best to help the patient. Also many of the changes talked about here are not common place yet. Some larger cities have different technology and others are part of studies.

I believe if you jumped in a rig tomorrow you wouldn't feel out of place, you might be a little rusty, you might need a CEU or forty to catch up. But in a few hours in the back and I guarantee you'll start to feel at home.

• 2 years later...

Things do get lost after some time away. I spent 5 years off of "On Car" work, instead working mostly Flight and Clinic based where I didn't do as much on scene work and when I went back to On-Car work, I was kinda lost.

The basics of patient care really stay the same - Try to keep patient from being dead. Although things change, the hands on experience you have far outweighs a lot of what people learn in school. So yea, maybe it is a good idea to sit in on a couple of classes to refresh the theory stuff, pick up a bit on new technology, techniques and protocols, but the foundation is there and the experience/knowledge of a career is also with you. I'd take your advice over a rookie any day.

At one time a medic I worked with ... would use me as an example of hard work and dedication said that I had probably forgotten more about EMS than most medics in their entire careers.

I'll have to go to Steve "I am NOT an Ambulance Driver" Berry for a comment on that. He showed a picture of a long timer in refresher class, with the younger folks all saying similar about him, but the "balloon" with his thoughts said "DAMN! I didn't realize I had forgotten so much from the last refresher!"

Yes, there is always going to be change in what we do, and I hope it is going to always be more proactive than reactive. Continuing Medical Education can (or hopefully should) cover temporary gaps as protocols change. I can tell you of numerous outdated protocols I had to unlearn, and totally new protocols I'd be being taught at the same time as an EMT in training for their first certification or license. It's in the nature of the game, so to speak.

Leave it at this idea: Some things will never change, others alongside them will always be changing. The trick will be in telling the difference between the two!

And a side note. I appreciate and respect everyone here, mostly.

Why am I the one to get picked on: *Sniffle sniffle*

Seriously. I enjoy reading your posts. PLEASE do not stop posting, your words and insight are valuable to me and every other newish provider on here. I learn soo much more than you know from "Old Timers" not OLD as in age but folks who have been there and done that while I am still learning. I LOVE to learn.

Hell I feel stupid a lot reading the posts, so much education so little time to google :0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.