Older EMS worker, what do you think?

I am considering re-entering the EMS field as an EMT after many years away from it. I was an EMT-B for 8 years in the 70's to 80's working in a 911 first responder capacity.

Much experience with patients under all manner and state of condition. A career that was immensely personally defining with a kind of satisfaction i've not since encountered in any subsequent profession I have held.

That was then and this is now.

I'm now 56 years of age and considering restarting the entire program from the bottom on up. Physically, I am in much better shape than 1/2 of those 1/2 my age that I see, so that is not an issue for ME.

I would like to get some feedback about this from others. How will my age be viewed by potential employers? Are there other pluses and minuses that I should be well aware of as part of my decision making process under the current state of the profession.

All (polite) input welcomed, pro or con.

Thanks in advance for your time and advise.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is holding you back ?

The age issue is only in your head man, employers look for life experiance and proven reliability, you are far less of an employment risk that a young pup.

cheers

I am 50. I will be graduating as a paramedic (hopefully) next month. When I first started the program, there were doubters and naysayers... and I can't say the macho young things gave me a lot of respect.. Now.. they are believers. I run in a hospital based EMS system that is the only paramedic service in 2 counties. We have 45 minute intercepts and 1 hour emergent transfers. The system is very busy too... It was the most sought after ridetime assignment in the state and I got it. Why - maturity, experience, willingness -

At the beginning, I questioned myself almost everyday. The amount of material that had to be learned seemed overwhelming. I am so proud of myself. It was worth every bit of it. Do not let a stupid little thing like the date on your birth certificate to ever stop you from trying. Do not let yourself defeat yourself.

Good luck.

If YOU think you are too old, then you are. Otherwise, don't worry about what others may think. From a prospective employer's position, you will bring maturity, stability, and reliability to the table - qualities that are appreciated in any field.

Good luck and rock on!

PS I'm a 43 year old Paramedic student.

I'm a 40ish paramedic student. I have been in EMS many years. In my opinion older providers tend to be better because they understand more fully just how precious life is. EMS is not just a game or a stepping stone to another field, usually. I encourage you to get started and don't stop till you are a paramedic where you can do the most good for the patients that depend on you. Sadly pay is not good in most areas, but you probably already knew that.

I don't think there is such thing as being too old to go into ANY new career, as long as you are physically able to handle it. I have been working casual and part-time EMS for almost 10 years, and will be retiring from my other job of 30 years soon. It is in my plans to go back to school, upgrade, and spend as many years as I can working EMS full time.

They say that people who are our age are not as quick as far as learning new things is concerned - they may be right, but the fact that we have made an informed and committed decision to learn this material makes up for it easily. If this is where your heart is, go for it, guns blazing and no regrets.

Only in your 50's.. Best time to take up a new career... Most of the EMT's I know are older than 50. I actually know several EMT's that are older than 70... Doesn't stop them. One was at least 76 when he became an EMT. No, I'm not kidding, yes I see where that could go wrong, no I don't have a proactive stance on it, no I don't care. I think that should clear up any questions, just find the one that best answers the one you have.

As someone who has been working on ambulances for 34 years, I started out as an admitted arrogant young punk, and now I am an admittedly arrogant old fark!

When did I make that transition?

If you can get the training upgrades, and feel that you can handle the work, and a potential employer agrees that you can handle the work, pal, go for it!

I am a 44 year old, who is starting her life TOTALLY over. My husband passed away a year ago. I had let my license lapse, because he wanted me to stay at home. As he had put it, I had spent the last 14 years raising the kids and raising him, so now it was my turn to relax and do nothing. How little did we know! But I went back to Basic, passed with flying colors and was accepted into Paramedic school. I am about halfway through- we start Pharmacology Monday, then Cardiology in May.

You are never too old to learn something new. I have to admit that I have enjoyed myself!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.