NPA usage

mobey

Just wondering how common NPA's are in other areas. I have never used one, never seen one used, and in fact we don't even carry them.

I know when and how to use them.

I am thinking they may be a thing of the past?

Or maybe the underdog of airway management that should be used more often?

Been awhile since I worked civilian street EMS, so I can't really say what is the norm around my area anymore. But, in the Dallas area, I've only worked with one agency that carried NPAs. Personally, I love them. They are used more than OPAs in the military system.

wow, the concept of not having an NPA just didn't honestly occur to me.

In my experience they are one of the most under-utilized basic airway devices (right after proper positioning!). Any seizing/post-ictal/semiconscious/unconscious patient I'll use an NPA on. I pretty much personally restrict the OPA to people who are in arrest. Everyone else gets an NPA (obviously this is a guideline, not a hard fast rule).

Overall, it's my favorite tool.. Even more than the chest full of splints. One of the services I run with, it's a fairly secluded area, and most calls are emergencies. Granted they still have their fair share of BS runs. Anyhoo.. I'd say one, or two a month is a fair estimate, at least one.

Required equipment, and they are in the first-in bags of both of my services as well as more of them in the airway compartment inside the truck. I too can't imagine not having them. Only had to use it once, probably could've justified it a few other times but decided not to take that step.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.