NPA usage

mobey

Overall, it's my favorite tool.. Even more than the chest full of splints.

Does anybody in street EMS really use splints much? I used them a lot in motocross and rodeo standbys, but rarely at all in in real EMS. Bandaging and splinting are some of the rarest used of all "skills" in EMS, in my experience.

We often use the speed splints. I am not much into all the fancy splints we carry in our unit, but i always stabilize fractures when time permits with one of these.

sps7601.gif

My FT job deals with a decent amount of orthopedic injuries, so we have a few different splinting options, and use them on a fairly regular basis.

We've got air splints, a Frac Pac(similar but not exactly like this one), padded board splints, and these three-sided padded cardboard jobs. And of course a traction splint.

My personal favorite for ankles and feet is a pillow.

I have not placed one before. I am sure I have probably had it indicated, but personally, and I don't know if this is true or not, but never having used one, it probably makes me more hesitant to use one.

Make sense?

I have not placed one before. I am sure I have probably had it indicated, but personally, and I don't know if this is true or not, but never having used one, it probably makes me more hesitant to use one.

Make sense?

As a dispatcher you never make sense. :D

Actually we all tend to hesitate at new things.

Does anybody in street EMS really use splints much? I used them a lot in motocross and rodeo standbys, but rarely at all in in real EMS. Bandaging and splinting are some of the rarest used of all "skills" in EMS, in my experience.

Actually, in the past year, I've done more splinting than I did in the eight years that preceded that. Same old injuries, same mechanisms, different positions and more frequently. IMO, the elderly-in poor health population has gone up, and kids have became more stupid. No matter what the measure of care you're giving, no need to be wreckless about it, knots square, tails tucked.

I just used one last night on an OD. They're great to use on unconcious pts. Or I have found it is very effective in getting "unconcious" pts who don't want to talk to you to wake up and start communicating. It's amazing how some pts become instantly responsive and alert before you even get the NPA in halfway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.