Employment Ideas

I was looking for a p/t job where I could use my EMT-B and/or firefighting skills. I actually found one being a driver for an organ transplant/air ambulance company. It is a perfect fit for me and my needs. But looking around I found many non-traditional companies are looking for emt's, medics and firefighters. Here are some links. All may not apply to your area but if you are looking for something to do, look outside the box.

Security/EMT/Firefighter job at Steel Mill

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-JGWEY9LRW20;_...hicago-IL-k-emt

Security/EMT

http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?Job...pg=1&seq=19

I have also seen jobs for emt-b's, emt-p's and firefighters in oil Refineries, chemical plants, hospitals, blood banks, large sporting venues and parks, festivals, carnivals and other outdoor events. Go on some of your city's larger caterering sites and special event coordinators. Also look at museums and large attractions like Six Flags, waterparks, etc.

Also, if you are looking to get into the ems field and there are not many jobs in yor area, look at the US Coast Guard, Navy, and Border Patrol.

If your city does not own and operate your local airport, many airports have medical staff.

Alot of public places like high schools, colleges and even elementary schools are now required to have AED's. They need training on these devises and CPR training. Go get certified as an instructor.

There are also swat teams run by a city of put together by a number of smaller suburbs that might seek a medic on their team. Hazmat response teams also like to have medics.

Also look at health care organizations like the Red Cross and others.

Just some stuff I came across while looking. I hope you get a couple good ideas.

Good on you for posting this for others. Strong work, Gaelic. I would just like to make the point for people who are new, do not expect these jobs to expand your knowledge or utilize your skills as a provider. Calls are typically low and training is usually minimal at best. You should either be a good provider with a strong skillset or have an alternative for training and education. Expecting to maintain EMT skills in some of these jobs is like a graduate of a cullinary school expecting to keep up his knowledge by working in a public school kitchen. I'm not saying not to work in these jobs, just know what to expect.

Definitely. If you do something like this for a few years right out of school, and then go apply for an EMS job, they are going to look at your application as if you have no experience at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, because a lot of employers want fresh providers with no experience. Just sayin', it really doesn't count as EMS experience because it's a whole different world.

It's certainly better than volly "experience".

Dust, I'm with you on this one I worked at one of the so called sports venue (Nascar) It was a totaly diffrent thing with very min. call volume. Sometimes it's better to have no experience than misguided or unguided experience. Not a Volley bash it can happen anywhere.

It was a totaly diffrent thing with very min. call volume. Sometimes it's better to have no experience than misguided or unguided experience. Not a Volley bash it can happen anywhere.

Definitely. Same thing applies to transfer jockeys, first responders, rural medics, and ER techs. It's just a different ballgame, and it takes time and an intelligent and adaptable person to make the transition in good time. If EMS is what you are training for, then ideally, real, high volume EMS is where you should get your initial experience. That is when your foundational knowledge is at it's peak. If you wait a significant amount of time before you start applying that knowledge regularly, you lose your edge.

Good points all. And thanks for reading and replying.

If you are new, alternative or non-traditional employment is not ideal as you need calls to practice your newly learned skills. Nothing takes the place of experience in this field.

However, jobs like these are better than no job at all. Alot of employers want some type of experience. This might help. These jobs are great for those who have a couple of years under their belts and are looking to augment their incomes or are in a transition.

Unfortunately we dont always get paid what we want and what we should be paid. Here in Chicago private ambulance companies pay as low as 11.00 an hour for a medic. Amazing.

Also for those with experience, especiall medics who see alot more than us emt's, jobs like these might be a nice break from MVA's and gunshots. It could be a great way to relieve that stress level or potential burn out.

I can't believe someone hadn't mention a govermental job, like...Go Navy :salute:

Sometime's you just have to take what pay's (transfer jockey) It is definitely not the golden handcuff. Continue your education and get any CE that you can afford!! For me it was a few years before I got a decent opportunity for a livable wage with benefits, and I still work a second job just to keep building a cushion in the bank. Unfortunately we don't have a pension or other plan. I believe that it is my responsibility to plan for my future not the goverment's. Don't you get tired of the goverment trying saving us from ourselves?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.