I Like working rual ems

That's more like Wilderness rescue... not rural ems.. a different monkey altogether

Not really wilderness if you can get in with 4 wheelers, not really rural. Sounds just like a mildly remote location. I'm rural and have many areas that your going in on foot to get them and carry out.

What is with my generation???

Read that post out loud to whoever is in the room with you and watch their reaction.

I think you are trying to discuss rural EMS but I can not be sure. I am a rural EMS buff and would like to discuss whatever you are bringing to the table ... but please for the love of god, proofread your posts people.

Well, not sure what you mean by your Generation. I am a year older than the poster and I feel that 90 percent of the time I am able to form coherent and relatively grammatically correct posts. But I know what you mean! There is a big difference between text/im abbreviations and posting on a forum for professionals and professional development.

Sorry to rant!

Sarge

We are not allowed to go past the band aid hospital 90 miles away. But even after getting there they still have 2.5 to 3 hours to nearest trauma surgeon' date=' cardiologist, really anything beyond general family practice. If helicopter or fixed wing is able to meet us at the hospital you can shave an hour to hour and a half off that time. But often they will be at the band aid hospital for an hour or two before air can get there. [/quote']

For nothing more than my own curiosity, how often do things like that happen (trauma/critical medical/etc)?

So yes your pretty well dead if you are in bad shape even if we get you to the band aid hospital alive.

Actually we get lots of serious medical. Untreated hypertension and untreated diabetes are rampant here. Many of our medical are flown out of the hospital every week. We have numerous OB's that end up being flown to hospitals as well since most have no prenatal care and no one knows theres problems till we get them. Trauma on the highways near us usually always have at least 1 fatality so many of the survivors are flown out, but we really do not get many wrecks maybe 1 serious wreck a month now.

But in saying that just like most services many of the patients really do not need the ambulance, we do have the right to say no but you still end up taxi driving way to often.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit that my goal is to be rural WI. Aiming for paramedic, might get so bold as to work on our reservation. Caring for family all the time might be taxing though...we will see. We do have the very best woods in WI :)

I have to admit that my goal is to be rural WI. Aiming for paramedic, might get so bold as to work on our reservation. Caring for family all the time might be taxing though...we will see. We do have the very best woods in WI :lol:

I liked visiting up there. Usually during snowmobile season.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.