Ok, I'll start it! Geraldine Ferraro's Comments on Obama

gaelicfirefighter

Was Geraldine Ferraro Wrong?  

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Who Cares

I wish to start a mature post on her comments about Obama. What do you think. What is wrong with the fact that blacks vote for blacks. Women vote for women. Men will not vote for women. Irish Catholics voted for Kennedy. Statistically history shows us this. Why cant you say anything about black people that can be construde as racist.

Why wouldn't you vote for someone who walks in your shoes to some extent. Dont we vote for people we can relate to. Dont we vote for people who we feel will represent us and our views.

Its true, he has no experience. It's true he is balck. Those are facts. Who cares. Look at how many politicians with his amount of time in office have gotten elected. Not many if any. This race is awesome because for the first time we could have a black man or a woman as president. These issues have to come up.

I dont buy the experience thing. What about a 20 year politician doing it wrong for 20 years. Does his amount of tenure equate to ability and knowledge. If so, I think we shoud re-wite our election laws and allow my fourth grades to hold office. They would do a better job than most of our politicians. I think they are a little smarter. We should put them on that show before any debates. Bush would have gotten murdered.

We elect people with experience right? We elect people who use prostitutes, who steal, who have affairs, who go to jail, who allow China to steal technology and secrets, who allow Saudi terrorists to attack us and then invade Iraq and Afganistan, who raise our taxes, who allow China to poison our children, who allow guns laws that enable mental patients to shoot people at colleges and high schools and who continually make a mockery of the offices we elect them to. Hmmm.

And we elect people who continually cut funding to EMS, police and Fire. We elect people who screw our Vets! Ok, now I'm getting pissed so I'll stop.

Let me know your thoughts.

Have a good day and stay safe.

Gaelic - Not Garlic or Gaylick - lol

This is a great topic and one I hope can stay on track and not get bogged down by emotions and negativism.

I don't know who is better or who is worse. Surely McCain has his shortfalls and surely hillary and obama have theirs too.

But I just don't know which one of the three would be worse for the country than the others.

I don't like any of them.

But I'll make my mind up someday but for now I'm going to go with McCain.

Why wouldn't you vote for someone who walks in your shoes to some extent. Dont we vote for people we can relate to. Dont we vote for people who we feel will represent us and our views.

Some people, right or wrong, feel that the best way for someone to represent them is to share a common religion/race/gender. Hence why people of a certain religion/race/gender generally tend to get that vote. It's kinda of like the entire "it's mildly embarrassing if a candidate doesn't win their home state" thing.

Its true, he has no experience. It's true he is balck. Those are facts. Who cares. Look at how many politicians with his amount of time in office have gotten elected. Not many if any. This race is awesome because for the first time we could have a black man or a woman as president. These issues have to come up.

To be fair, Clinton's "experience" isn't all it's cracked up to be. She wasn't president, Bill was. It's like saying I've got 18 years of experience in aerospace because my dad is an aerospace engineer. Furthermore, there will not be a woman president this election cycle. Clinton has been polling constantly in the 50% range of people who would not ever consider voting for her. Considering that McCain is fairly left compared to his party means that she will lose in a general election.

I dont buy the experience thing. What about a 20 year politician doing it wrong for 20 years. Does his amount of tenure equate to ability and knowledge. If so, I think we shoud re-wite our election laws and allow my fourth grades to hold office. They would do a better job than most of our politicians. I think they are a little smarter. We should put them on that show before any debates. Bush would have gotten murdered.

So would Kerry, and most of just about anyone who has gone on that show. Let's face it, when the Democrats had a chance in 2004, they decided to nominate someone less charismatic and dumber (lower GPA even) than Bush Jr. The democrats have no one to thank but themselves for losing that election.

We elect people with experience right? We elect people who use prostitutes, who steal, who have affairs, who go to jail, who allow China to steal technology and secrets, who allow Saudi terrorists to attack us and then invade Iraq and Afganistan, who raise our taxes, who allow China to poison our children, who allow guns laws that enable mental patients to shoot people at colleges and high schools and who continually make a mockery of the offices we elect them to. Hmmm.

Well, to be fair, most of those chritisisms should be leveled against congress, but there's a reason that the only thing polling worst than Bush IS congress. Some of those laws aren't even constitutional at the federal level anyways (the gun law one at least. Separation of powers between state and federal levels).

There are an awful lot of "?" missing. Were those all meant to be questions? Or were they, in fact, statements?

Otherwise, seems to be some good basis for discussion. If people can discuss politics politely, that is. :D

I've got to agree that none of the main candidates are very appealing. McCain, while an overall respectable man given all that he's endured and accomplished, is a little too gung ho. He makes me nervous with regards to continued, or *new* military action in the middle east. I must admit, though, that of the three he would be most qualified to be Commander in Chief.

I like McCain, to a certain extent, because he's the most moderate republican to make it this far in a long time. I think we've had too much extremism, right and left wing, in the recent past.

Obama makes me nervous because, despite his state and national level offices he's still relatively unknown. He wants to step into a mess left by Bush. What's he going to do? No one knows. That could be good or bad. Unfortunately, if it's bad, it's too late once he's elected.

Clinton...well...I'm all for a woman president. One reason I don't want her is because we've had too much of a political dynasty so far. Bush Sr. then Clinton. Now Bush Jr then what? Another Clinton? Also, she's far too polarizing a figure to hold that office. Those who love her love her to death. Those who hate her hate her worse than they hated her husband. We don't need that right now. This country is facing enough as it is. We don't need further division.

I say Stephen Colbert for President. Oh! Wait! He can't run unless he gives up his TV show. What do you think? Colbert/Stewart? Or Stewart/Colbert? That could be fun. ;)

-be safe

I'm actually postulating a Snoop Dog/P Diddy ticket which is about as likely as a Clinton/Obama ticket or a McCain/Limbaugh ticket.

I'm not all that political of a person but it has just hit me...literally just hit me, in some states it might come down to who said or did something wrong or right in either one's camps. It might be just one person saying something stupid or doing something inappropriate to sway the vote for their respected candidate. Wasn't it just recently that someone from Obama's group that called Hillary a "Monster" or something that cost her position in his organization? Seems like "mud slinging" has gone by the way side. But, I could be wrong...

I'm not all that political of a person but it has just hit me...literally just hit me, in some states it might come down to who said or did something wrong or right in either one's camps. It might be just one person saying something stupid or doing something inappropriate to sway the vote for their respected candidate. Wasn't it just recently that someone from Obama's group that called Hillary a "Monster" or something that cost her position in his organization? Seems like "mud slinging" has gone by the way side. But, I could be wrong...

Firedoc, you do remember the Howard Dean Scream right? That's all it took to derail his campaign

The picture of Michael Dukakis in the tank, dork in a tank is what they called it.

Gary Hart with the picture of Donna what's her name

The list goes on and on and on.

Here are Hillary's response to Ferraros comments. Hillary wasted no time to distance herself from Gerry's comments

Clinton rejected Ferraro’s remarks.

“I do not agree with that,” Clinton said Tuesday in an interview with The Associated Press, and later added, “It’s regrettable that any of our supporters — on both sides, because we both have this experience — say things that kind of veer off into the personal.”

“We ought to keep this on the issues. There are differences between us” on approaches to health care, energy, experience, Clinton said.