EMS Research

My second job at a teaching facility actively does EMS research (apparently only one of five EMS teaching/research centers in the country)...I'm new, but hope to get into that aspect of things, too.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been running PRIMED since last summer. So far I think we are well over 700 patient enrollments. Enrollment in the hypertonic saline study has not been as high as was hoped unfortunately. We use the lifepak 12 with all the standard stuff (capnography, SpO2, NIBP and 12 lead) and all the defibs get downloaded at your station using the lifenet DT express software. All cardiac arrest and major trauma info in compiled in the central CAMT provincial registry and is all dual transmitted to the BC ROC staff and St. Paul's hospital. By the end of this year the remaining lifepak 500's will be replaced with the lifepak 1000 with the pediatric SAED and basic cardiac monitoring package. I think the ROC is great because it pulls many large EMS services together on the same page for research and allows very large studies like PRIMED to go ahead. I know my service is planning to stay a part of ROC and there is more studies planned in the next several years.

I count myself fortunate that my medical director is the Canadian rep for NAEMSP and she is very pro-research and always on the hunt for stuff like this to get us involved in.

Most pleased to here of the advances in the area of EMS research, zilla makes a very good point concerning the nature of our enviroment.

Gosh sure would like to see a few services that I work for, get on board. The larger the study, the more valid the potential applications, go boys/girls GO!

Is there a means of access to contact those that would support a means of providing funding, north of the border that is ?

cheers

Is it not time to let EMT-B do more, Examples, Blood Glucose for AMS and known diabetics, CombiTube or LMA for advanced airway, In the area I work in there is no EMT-I and Medics are not always available, Give the EMT-B more to work with and lighten the load on the rest of the system. With or without ALS we are there every time, Give us the tools and we will do the job!

Is it not time to let EMT-B do more, Examples, Blood Glucose for AMS and known diabetics, CombiTube or LMA for advanced airway, In the area I work in there is no EMT-I and Medics are not always available, Give the EMT-B more to work with and lighten the load on the rest of the system. With or without ALS we are there every time, Give us the tools and we will do the job!

Use the search funtion, my friend. You will find out why you are about to get the responses that are coming next. I can sum it up for you in 3 words, education, education, education.

Is it not time to let EMT-B do more,

No.

Give us the tools and we will do the job!

Give you? *Give* you? You're not going to be *given* anything.

It's called go back to school (i.e. a reputable and degree awarding program) and earn it just like the rest of us had to.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)

-be safe

Use the search function, my friend. You will find out why you are about to get the responses that are coming next. I can sum it up for you in 3 words, education, education, education.

ERDoc said it perfectly now let's all leave it at that. This has been a good thread and I really don't want to see it veer way off topic with this.

Sure. I see nothing wrong with Basic doing more, so be it that the educational requirements are greatly enhanced to go along with the greater responsibility.

Education ≠ training though.

Is it not time to let EMT-B do more...

That's correct. It is not time for that. But it is time for your community to get rid of their volunteer basics and replace them with paid, professional paramedics.

And yes, they can afford it.