Newfoundland Medics told to get in shape....

That type of test is already in place in my area. you have to make sure to pass a physical and a lifting test. they make sure you can move a pt, move a pt on a stretcher, and they check your breathing abilities... lots of stuff like that. if you don't pass you don't get the job. they also have a psy test, drug test, and things like that. i think its good. that way you don't get stuck with a partner that can't lift and you don't have to spend time waiting for lift assist. and if you can't pass you can work on it and come back, or you can not come back. seems to work around here.

If they suddenly decided to fire everyone in Emergency Services that was out of shape, that would cut the nations EMS personnel in half, 3/4 of fire personnel and an equal number of police officers.

Hey, if you can establish a culture of fitness in your organisation, I think that's a great thing. Let the fat boys bitch. If they're smart, they'll embrace it and let the city pay for it. But I would be very surprised if the city could actually get away with sacking any current employees who fail to comply. You can certainly strengthen requirements for new employees who hire in the future. But to hire people under one set of standards, and then try to change them later on is just stupid, and probably illegal.

First off:

1- Why is buddy wearing bunker gear ? Is the volly FF going to be subjected to the same testing?

1-(eh) Are we talking culture of fisical fishness here ?

2-(bee) Is that a picture of Darwin besides da electronic picture ting der boyz ? (Now THATS true situational irony in itself)

tree- This is all an excuse to introduce drug testing (can't you see that NFL is trying to stop Bubbles and Ricky from applying)

ps pass da Screech.

Dust can't say its illegal in NFL! the Government changes the rules at the drop of a cod.

tree- This is all an excuse to introduce drug testing (can't you see that NFL is trying to stop Bubbles and Ricky from applying)

Ya know, nobody ever seems to consider this point when this comes up. When I was a firemonkey, the department instituted a fitness programme. They had some nurses come by every station to draw blood from every employee, on duty, to run baseline labs like cholesterol, etc... The union president worked with me, and he was all happy and excited about the programme. Then, just to be a shit-stirrer, I started bending his ear with conspiracy theory talk, about how the department was going to run drug tests and other procedures invasive of our privacy that they could use against us in the future, and we would never know about it because we were willingly consenting. It was hilarious. The guy freaked the hell out and demanded that the process be shut down until the union attorneys could get involved.

Dust can't say its illegal in NFL! the Government changes the rules at the drop of a cod.

Yeah, but just like in the above example, many organisations have the clout to successfully dispute those changes, and won't hesitate to take it to court, or sometimes just the court of public opinion. Another example; after hundreds of firemonkeys intentionally flunked medic school so they wouldn't have to ride the ambulance, the department changed the written department policy, requiring all firefighters to attend and pass paramedic school or lose their jobs. Suddenly, the medic school failure rate plummeted to an all-time low. Those who still failed were fired, but took it to court. The court ordered them all (hundreds of them) reinstated with back pay because they were fired for requirements that were not in place when they were hired.

Hi,I'm new here but definitely not new to ambulances.I'm one of the medics involved in this physical testing,also a volunteer fire fighter and the town mayor who has implemented this testing. The issue of being physically fit (i.e, can you lift and load your patient Safely) is in my opinion a very basic skill for anyone involved with working on an ambulance and ALL paramedics,EMT'S,EMR'S,FIRST RESPONDERS,etc should be able to do this safely for their own safety,their partner's safety but most importantly for the safety of their patients.It's not rocket science,simple,can you do your job safely in lifting patients,if not we have a problem that has to be addressed.

Hi,I'm new here but definitely not new to ambulances.I'm one of the medics involved in this physical testing,also a volunteer fire fighter and the town mayor who has implemented this testing. The issue of being physically fit (i.e, can you lift and load your patient Safely) is in my opinion a very basic skill for anyone involved with working on an ambulance and ALL paramedics,EMT'S,EMR'S,FIRST RESPONDERS,etc should be able to do this safely for their own safety,their partner's safety but most importantly for the safety of their patients.It's not rocket science,simple,can you do your job safely in lifting patients,if not we have a problem that has to be addressed.

Lord Thunderin ...j/k

Hey a Great Big Welcome to our brother out on the Rock ! Awesome to have the real thing involved with the newstory and actually post in EMT city.... So whats the real skinny ? Was there an issue with fitness of your brothers ands sisters or is this just a blown out of proportion.

I work with many of your fellow "province men" (is that a word)? near Ft. Macmurray so is there anyone left out gaurding our eastern coastline ?? Great bunch of fun, hard working, tough guys and gals.

Have heard some gret news that a school for Paramedics is getting up and running ... any insights for us ? Are they looking for ACP Instructors ? Whos operating the school ?

ps I think you made a huge mistake joining the rest of Canada !

cheers

Hey did you hear the one about the guy from TO..... (lol)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.