Newfoundland Medics told to get in shape....

Well a curious observation, unfortunately without an extensive background into this demographic area, and understanding the culture differences and the very good hearted people of NFL bit premature to call one an idiot, this clearly demonstrates a preconcieved stereotype.

BIG hearts Of this I do know, and knowing that, I dare say we all could learn from the comradery that I see clearly demonstrated every day, frankly I honoured to provide care to "the boys" cause they would bust a hump for anyone anyday, just the way it is, ok and just for the hell of it too. :lol:

Background info FYI:

I would dare to theorize that without FF volunteer in rural NFL they would have no fire protection at all ! It would be folly not to assume with the scant resourses available both in funding and personnel that integration of these emergency services are essential to provide services to the their community's.

Or could this be due to Scott or Draeger (sp) have not done any "fit testing" on moose just yet ... LOL. My first post was intended to be tongue in cheek , the point that irks me a tad is that while being interviewed as ambulance attendant and representing the "proffession" of Paramedic the spokes person's should look like a Paramedic is all, we will cut them some slack I am hoping.

The FACTS ARE that it is quite impossible for this physical standard to be ENFORCED in ANY way, as one cannot dictate anything to a volunteer, because they can just walk away, I do commend in fact that this story has gained attention across Canada ... good show and good PR is the way to go.

Just a wee note to those that may believe that the culture in Kanukistan could be compared to the US, after all this is the EMT city Forum for Canadian EMS providers, thanks for that ADMIN! Perhaps just my way of saying please be polite and BVESBC don't derail this thread. It is the first time that we have had a representative from NFL (that I know of) on this site and there is much to share and learn.

I am very hopeful that Rural Medic will respond soon.

cheers

It is the first time that we have had a representative from NFL (that I know of) on this site...

I bet there are others. They are just too ashamed to admit it publicly.

It's not nearly as prestigious as being from a trailer park in Halifax. :wink:

I bet there are others. They are just too ashamed to admit it publicly.

It's not nearly as prestigious as being from a trailer park in Halifax. :wink:

Firstly: Thanks so much for providing me the oportunity to wash my screen with coffee ! :lol:

I must incude for your review:

This is all an excuse to introduce drug testing (can't you see that NFL is trying to stop Bubbles and Ricky from applying)

tniuqs wrote,

The FACTS ARE that it is quite impossible for this physical standard to be ENFORCED in ANY way, as one cannot dictate anything to a volunteer, because they can just walk away,

Well I'll try not to Derail this, Volleys are Employees. Yes they are unpaid but they do perform perform duties that are for or at the bequest of the employer. If it were stateside this would be covered by FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) Once you have established that the are infact employees by definition. You could conceive that they should all be held to the same standards, Whatever they are. Any employer can set any standard, so long as it does not discriminate against one sect or cast. The question I have, is does NFL have something similar to FLSA, and do they have different standards for discrimination? OH MY! I hope that they don't have a equilivent of the ACLU! If they are truly dedicated proffessionals they would embrace this as a positive step.

Once you have established that the are infact employees by definition. You could conceive that they should all be held to the same standards, Whatever they are.

Yes, but the point was that your only option in enforcing those standards is to lose the person, which is counterproductive. Consequently, unless you simply would rather have no employees at all, just to make a point, there really is nothing you can do to hold those personnel to your standards without destroying the organisation.

Yes, but the point was that your only option in enforcing those standards is to lose the person, which is counterproductive. Consequently, unless you simply would rather have no employees at all, just to make a point, there really is nothing you can do to hold those personnel to your standards without destroying the organisation.

Point taken Dust, The object is not to harm the organisation, but to have the polar opposite effect. Would not holding all to the same standards be discrimination? This is not anti volley by any means more so that they are all employees, and all same service employees must be held to the same standards. At least here in the US. Anytime a new standard is introduced you must give all employees a suffecient amount of time to comply. Any noncompliance should be treated consistently for all employees and appropriate remedial action taken. Right now the hardest thing to do may be to lose a few knowing that it is the best thing that can be done for the future of the organisation. A truly dedicated employee will be sold on the fact that it is better for everyone in the organisation, and the only non compliance will be those that are not dedicated or those that truly can't meet the criteria and will seek remediation on their own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.