Fainting FF can not pass paramedic clinicals...

Like a lot of good old topics, it is no longer here for some reason. But there was at least one instance of that. Remember when Nate got arrested by some dickhead city cop and fire marshal for making an emergency run in their city limits, after the city's own dispatcher had cleared him to do so? I think a few of us had started posting on that before we realised it was him, since we didn't know his last name.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened other times before.

I remember that. Where the hell is Nate, anyway? He was cleared of everything, wasn't he? I remember him talking about his court date but I don't remember seeing anything after that. Could be I just missed it. Could be he went to jail? (I hope not.)

-be safe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight... this firefighter JUST wants to be a FF, no? And his department is forcing him to become a paramedic, which he seems to be incapable of doing? Sucks to be him...

Wonder if the IAFF would help this guy keep his job... since it seems to be discriminating against those who do the hose end of the job well but have neither the inclination nor the stomach (or vasovagal tone) for the medical side...

I mean yeah, it is ludicrous that he's suing. But, we know that Fire and EMS are not the optimal combination... perhaps this fellow could be a good example of that! And perhaps he should seek employment at a non-EMS involved agency where you don't *have* to try to be both.

Who knows why he passes out when administering IV's? Deep seated phobia? Faker extraordinaire? Makes me wonder.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

or he gets a lot of attention when he does. The more attention you give to people the more often or intensely they do the thing they are getting the attention for.

It's like trolls on the internet. You feed them and they always come back for more.

I do feel sorry for him, he's probably the laughing stock of the fire service he worked at.

And the bad thing is that now he is the laughing stock of anyone who finds this article. His picture is right next to the article, no wait, that's just a scumbag.

what happens when he works a code? does he pass out because the medic stuck the patient?

I do feel sorry for him, he's probably the laughing stock of the fire service he worked at.

And the bad thing is that now he is the laughing stock of anyone who finds this article.

Agreed. He should have shut up and found another job. Now he may as well put "Do Not Hire" in the top of his certifications. I find it hard to belive that: A) He didn't know the service was going medic, and: :D He didn't know he had a problem with needles.

I'm not saying that it's his fault. It appears he tried to get through the training despite injuries. I think he should have seen this coming and prepared for it.

Dude, maybe it's just him operating the needle! I have known folks who are fine with getting stuck, they can handle it, they can watch others get stuck, but sticking a needle into someone else is very difficult for them. Dunno what this guy's issue is, but if that's the case, again... sucks to be him.

But yeah, any phobias or wierd dislikes are going to get you razzed no matter where you work. Yay for the workplace lol...

You know what I hate? Cleaning up warm puke. I can watch someone vomit, hear it, smell it, help them out while they're puking... but if I've gotta clean it off the floor and I can feel through my gloves that it's still warm? *BLARGH* :tongue6: :puke: :pukeleft: :pukeright:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Normally I'd say just have someone work with the guy, be patient, get to the bottom of his fear of inserting needles, but something tells me, nope, hang up the hat.

Something I don't normally believe in is hypnosis, but why not look into it...?

Another example of why the FD should not be involved with EMS. People with a medical emergency need an ambulance not a fire truck.

That has to be [s:8f38ca7b1d]one of the[/s:8f38ca7b1d] the most ludicrous statement ever made concerning Fire and EMS. I somehow doubt that the guy fainting has anything to do with him being a firefighter. :roll: And people with a medical emergency dont need an ambulance or a fire truck, they need someone with medical skills. The vehicle is irrelevant. Ive ridden with medics who couldnt start an IV on five tries and without getting blood all over the rig, the floor, the patient and the cot. Get over it, Doc.

It's not really a Us vs. Them issue. Let's just change the situation. L

Let's pretend it was a medic instead of a firefighter that was in Fire Academy. Now let's say that medic could not handle the smoke without an asthmatic attack. What would one think would occur?

Yeah, we know the answer and no one would even be discussing it.

R/r 911

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.