Woman dies onboard airplane with faulty equipment

JPINFV

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_on_re_us/flight_death

Airline is claiming everything worked and that they followed procedure [re: initially refusing oxygen administration]. The doc, a pediatrician was assisted by 2 EMTs [level not given in the article] and, according to the doctor, the woman's "pulse was too weak for the AED to work." The woman was a diabetic.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_on_re_us/flight_death

Airline is claiming everything worked and that they followed procedure [re: initially refusing oxygen administration]. The doc, a pediatrician was assisted by 2 EMTs [level not given in the article] and, according to the doctor, the woman's "pulse was too weak for the AED to work." The woman was a diabetic.

I have that same problem all the time. I keep trying to use the AED on people without a pulse. If only people were healthier when I've used it... :roll:

ok, these airlines pay good money to have there planes staffed with federal air marshals to keep the "flying public" safe.......why not also have paid medical staff fly as well, we may not be able to save someone in the air in the case of a full arrest, but what about things we can treat like, asthma, allergic reactions.....ect ect ect. we obviously know how to check out equipment (or at least we should) and we are trained to act and reconize medical emergencys.....it still may have not saved that poor womans life, but its food for thought....... :wink:

Why pay when you can, in general, have free medical care from volunteers [i'd wager that well over half of all flights of decent size [not the 10 person boon dock flights] have at least an RN, MD, or EMT-P on board. Heck, even my pathology professor [he did primary care before moving to path] has shared a few in flight emergency stories with the class.

Could someone more familiar with commercial aircraft answer this related question:

Supposedly, there were at least 2 portable Oxygen tanks and associated setups on board the jet.

Now, from the few times I have flown, the cabin crews always give the safety lecture, including putting on that mask when it drops down from the ceiling, before assisting your seatmates in putting theirs on, should the occasion arise.

I remember, from the summer I worked for Allied Aviation Services, at JFK, seeing a maintainance crew change a really large O2 tank, used for these emergency masks.

Now, if the portables were really empty, is it possible for the flight crew (the guys in the cockpit, not the cabin attendants) to manually trigger the masks to drop, starting the flow of the Oxygen? Or was that just a dramatic device used on, I think, the "Quincy, ME" show?

Who is expected to use the equipment in the emergency bags (i.e. IV, epi, atropine, etc.)? It doesn't sound like the flight staff is medically trained, so, is this like an open bar for docs? Is the idea that if you're brave enough to act like you know what's going on, have at it?

Who is expected to use the equipment in the emergency bags (i.e. IV, epi, atropine, etc.)? It doesn't sound like the flight staff is medically trained, so, is this like an open bar for docs? Is the idea that if you're brave enough to act like you know what's going on, have at it?

I am going to be flying home tomorrow. I will ask the flight attendant this question

If my memory serves correct the flight attendants are trained to recognize certain medical conditions and provide care such as oxygen and stuff but as for anything further like getting into the medication kit falls outside their level of training.

They are also supposedly the only people on the plane that are supposed to operate the AED. According to one flight attendant it's most airline policies that the attendent is the only one who can operate it.

As for the medications you had better be able to prove you are a medic or healthcare provider or they probably won't let you help.

But I will find out all this tomorrow night.

I am going to be flying home tomorrow. I will ask the flight attendant this question

If my memory serves correct the flight attendants are trained to recognize certain medical conditions and provide care such as oxygen and stuff but as for anything further like getting into the medication kit falls outside their level of training.

They are also supposedly the only people on the plane that are supposed to operate the AED. According to one flight attendant it's most airline policies that the attendent is the only one who can operate it.

As for the medications you had better be able to prove you are a medic or healthcare provider or they probably won't let you help.

But I will find out all this tomorrow night.

Cool. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.