Woman dies onboard airplane with faulty equipment

JPINFV

I also believe that the oxygen from the drop downs are not guaranteed to be medical quality. I also don't know if they can release the drop downs. I recently read an FAA release (though I don't remember where it was) that said the meds supplied in the kits are for medical personel that may be on the the plane to use.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is true doc, the meds are medical personnel but I think you need to be able to prove you are a medical personnel either during the emergency or close after. Especially if you are the one to divert the plane to a airport not specified in the flight plan.

I wouldn't want to have that responsibility of diverting the plane but I would do it if I had to. With the 100K+ miles I fly every year or so it's only a matter of time before I am put in that position. Let's hope it just happens on a flight I'm not actually on.

that is true doc, the meds are medical personnel but I think you need to be able to prove you are a medical personnel either during the emergency or close after.

That is indeed the policy. But I've never been asked for my credentials, before or after. Not on an airliner or any other kind of scene, for that matter. Some people you can just tell. :)

That is indeed the policy. But I've never been asked for my credentials, before or after. Not on an airliner or any other kind of scene, for that matter. Some people you can just tell. :)

...yeah, wackers stand out. Sorry, I couldn't pass it up!

Yeah that's true dust. If you show that you know what the heck you are doing then the chances of them asking for licensure or proof is pretty remote.

I'm at the airport now, I'm going to snag a hot looking flight attendant and ask her the questions.

Sorry for the poor quality, but it was the best one I could find that was in English [there's a high quality German one though].

The advisory circulars are good info- especially the part dealing with the minimum equipment list and being a no-go item.

Each aircraft type has a minimum equipment list which is divided into chapters system by system. It is approved by the FAA.

What it tells the crew is what they can fly with if it is inoperative, and for how long.

It has maintenance and operational items to perform such as placarding something inoperative, or pulling a circuit breaker.

In our MEL's, depending on what the item is, and the conditions, an item can be MEL'd for 5 days, 10 days or not at all. (For instance, prop deice can be MEL'd for 10 days, so long as the aircraft is not flown in icing conditions. It must be placarded inop, and the circuit breaker pulled and maintenance notified)

In the case of the medical kit, and medical oxygen, if I interpret it correctly, these items cannot be MEL'd, and the aircraft cannot be operated in passenger service without having them aboard in servicable condition.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.