What do you say when random people ask your medical opinion?

gvandellen

Heeeeeellllllllll NO! If people know I'm a paramedic, they may expect me to help them, for free. That's just not my style.

This quote from the sticker your pov thread got me thinking about a few occasions when I was taking the train into the city for medic school last year. We had to wear our uniforms to class and people seeing it on the train would sometimes ask me medical questions. I usually told them their problem was either A)something logical or B)most likely cancer to screw with them. It was a remote possibility but they should call a family doctor for testing. All kidding aside; is it me or do you find it strange for someone to ask a complete stranger medical advice?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm the only girl on my Fire Department in a small township (1200 souls, give or take) so EVERYONE knows what I do for a living. I get phone calls at home from people wondering if they should take their family member/friend to the hospital.

That being said, I got over the weirdness of people asking me medical advice. They ask my opinion, I ask so many questions...some of which are a little personal healthwise. If they really want help, they stick around. If they start to look at you really funny when you start asking weird questions, ask WEIRDER questions and they will go away. I ask enough to learn if they're serious or just being a pain...if they're being a pain I have fun with it....just sayin...

Brat :angel8:

I tell them what I know, and tell them "I am not a doctor".

I especially emphasize that last point that I am not a doctor. Mostly, I tell people that "I don't know". What I generally say is something along the lines of: "I'm a Basic EMT. All I'm trained to do is to try and keep you alive and breathing until we get you to hospital. I can't diagnose anything. I can't really treat anything either, except as a temporary measure (e.g.: a splint). You say your arm hurts? Then I have to assume it's broken and splint it. I am not allowed (nor trained) to make a determination as to whether it's actually broken. You need a doctor and an x-ray for that."

Most people "get it" pretty quick. I don't have too many repeat customers.

BTW, I'm nice enough when I reply. I don't mind getting the questions. But what I tell people is the honest truth. I'm not a doctor. It would be arrogant and presumptuous of me to go around giving advice.

EDIT: In my day job, I work a lot with computers, usually with large databases. Believe me, it's not just medical professionals that get the questions....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.