What EMTCity teaches us?

brentoli

I am so happy to see all of this discussion recently, and these ideas being thrown around. You can feel that at least in our community here on the interweb there is progress being made.

What are some important lessons you have learned here at the City?

Anything that blindsided you? I know I wasn't near the "professional level" before I came here. This site has offered me new ways of thinking and creativity it may have taken years to develop, if it even did.

What I learned:

1) Never agree with the "elders" even if they are right. You will learn more if you can develop a well thought out and coherent counter-point.

2) Nothing in your profession is personal, until you make it that way. So many people here get in a tussy over simple matters, because they can not step back and realize that comments aren't directed at them, but the system itself.

3) I have no idea what I don't know in EMS. Yes I stole that from AK I think. But I really don't know what else there is out there to know. I can tell you I want to learn, I want to go through a paramedic program, and I want to further myself. But to what level, does it stop? No. Should it? No.

Have at it, what have you learned, what is something you hope everybody browsing these forums would take away from them?

Great topic brother!

I truly appreciate your postings and can say without a doubt that there has been significant change with you since your first day.

Growing, changing, broadening our minds is a lifelong process that we must never stop persuing.

Life is NOT short, as it is the longest thing any of us will ever do. So soak it up and continue to learn and develop the skill to step back and analyze everything you do. Ask yourself why you do something, how you do it and can you do it better?

Thanks for the credit on the quote, however I stole it from someone/somehwere else and can not recall exactly in order to give proper recognition.

As for things I have learned, the list is endless. There have been so many different members that have changed my thoughts on so many different subjects.

I love this topic because it is a chance for members here who are brave enough to let others know they have had an influence upon them. Many of those responsible for the influencing are not even aware of the impact they may have had on your life personally so here is a chance to do it.

My list is endless and yes I admit there are many names I have forgotten, but I have been influenced by them regardless.

Top of my list always is Michael. Although he is non-EMS, he has influenced me personally in many different areas outside of EMS. Ironically, some of the things he has shown to me are things I can apply to EMS or myself in order to improve myself. I enjoy his postings and his PMs have provoked some serious inner thought. I have looked within myself on many occassions and examined how I could better myself. Whether or not I do change or improve as a result of this, I still look and see if I can.

I am rambling, as the point was not to name names ( I think), so the lesson learned is:

Do not be scared to look within.

Always evaluate and reevaluate yourself and why you stand for what you stand for, then apply lessons to yourself for improvement.

VS-eh, notvsa,(King of 10+ page threads) here are his lessons:

1. Do not be scared to start or comment on topics that are sensitive. However, do be prepared to logically present your side without it being based on emotion or "just beacuse thats the way it always been".

2. Google the rules of debating and try to follow them when engaged. (yes there are proper rules)

3. Be PERSISTENT, RELENTLESS, and PASSIONATE if it is something you feel strongly about.

Rid with 500 certifications behind his name:

1. Never stop learning or going to school. There are not that many 80 year old men pursuing a NP after all the other education already obtained, so kudos to him. :)

2. Know when to disengage from a situation. Say what you need to say, if at all and then disengage. This is not retreating and does not make one a lesser man, it is the opposite. It shows maturity and wisdom, the old adage of "picking your battles".

3. Passion for life in general, but mostly passion for the betterment of EMS.

Dust...ummm Dust...

1. Wow, umm yeh. I think he speaks for himself...lol.

2. Ok, seriously he has made me see things from a totally different perspective that I never realized before. Definitely has changed my opinion on many, many EMS related topics. He did this by being able to explain WHY it should change by using LOGIC and FACT, not just heresay or theory.

Asys

1. Keep it real.

2. While coming off more cynical than Dust sometimes, again his perspective is matter of fact and "keeping it real". I love the straight forward, no nonsense approach and do wish I used it more sometimes.

Dwayne:

1. ALWAYS remain a student

2. ALWAYS ask why or how and do not be afraid of looking the fool.

3. Pursue your goals or passions, no matter how far in lilfe you have already traveled. ( I love Dwaynes adult perspective on this paramedic journey of his).

AK:

1. DO not get so bent out of shape over anything that happens in the forums or the chat room. It is an internet site that has no bearing on your day to day life UNLESS you are applying some of the lessons learned from others to improve yourself or EMS.

2. Ask yourself, why are you getting so torqued over things said or asked...is it because what was said IS causing you to look inward and reflect and you do not like what you see?

Anyways, as I said this is a FANTASTIC thread. It caused me to look back and think and then try to put it all into words to show proper respect to those I mentioned.

The list I started, which I may add onto later, is in no way a complete all-inclusive list. I did not even write half the stuff I thought of for the names I did mention and there are so many more that deserve recognition for the lessons they bring to the table on a regular basis and share with us. I am hoping others will step up and list some of the lessons learned and if comfortable, explain who you learned them from.

Finally, lesson learned from EmtCityAdmin:

1. If you believe in it, it will come to be. (Look at how this site has grown over the years)

2. Dont be afraid to stick your neck out for what you believe in. (By this I mean $$$)

3. Do not be a dictator and shut down creative thinking or processes. Allow the ideas to free flow and see how they shape/reshape the dynamics of the site or yourself (if applying this lesson personally).

oh well...ramble over for now

Man, I love these threads. It reminds us that we’ve come to mean something more to each other than simple entries on a forum. That’s important I think.

What I’ve learned…

Being wrong is OK. Staying wrong because you’re afraid to ask for help is not. I like to post questions with the information I already have in my head, without researching it first, just to see how my logic stacks up to the smart people here. Without exception, each time I’ve said “Oh hell, they’re going to kick your ass for being an idiot this time!” , I’ve been wrong. We squabble at times, but at the end of the day I leave here smarter, and sometimes more humble, than I came.

We are a team here, and I need to continue to earn my place on this team. I don’t have to be better than someone else to earn my place, but I must be as good as I can be today. That’s what’s expected by those that I respect here, and I’m grateful for the benchmark.

Many come, and most go, but the core posters here share a common soul, we watch out for each other’s ideas, concerns, education, and mental well being. I can’t think of a single person that posts regularly here that would consider it a favor if I failed to point out a weakness in their thinking. We don’t come her to cry, or whine, or feel sorry for ourselves. We come to be better, and to do what we can to help others to be better. Sometimes we cry, whine, and feel sorry for ourselves, and that’s ok. But that’s not our community goal.

Ok, to specifics…

Dust and AK convinced me a couple of years ago that I would be sorry if I went to a 9 month school instead of pursuing a degree. The sacrifice has been tremendous, at times almost too much so, but it’s now 6 weeks away. When my preceptors introduce me to the other crews as “My student Dwayne, he’s just finishing his AAS in EMS” and 20 year medics say, “DUDE! That’s hard core man! I wish I would have done that!” I strut like a peacock! Thank you guys.

Michael. I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about half the time, but he brings a dimension to the board that was sorely lacking in his absence. He’s kind, funny, smart, yeah..smart,…ok, too dang smart! But he reminds us that not all is EMS, sometimes we have to think sideways and backwards, and THEN reminds us that thinking sideways and backwards is a big part of being good at EMS. I wish I had better words to describe what he means…I like to call him my friend…that will have to do I guess.

Kaisu, Eydawn, chaser, becksdad, hell, a ton of others. They remind me to be kinder, gentler, not to make every point with a 2x4 when a Nurf bat will do. They are the heartbeat of the City, without them many threads would seem dry and angry whether they were or not.

Scaramedic, asysin2leads, Dust, AK, Any of the Docs. They don’t always dress things up pretty the way some folks would like but when you see their name in a thread there is absolutely no doubt that you will be interested in what it has to say. I consider it a red letter day if I can contribute to a thread that any one of them is involved in.

As AK said, this could go on forever, so I’m going to reserve the right to recall this thread as the subject has time to percolate through my brain.

The City is a special place. It’s changed the way that I think about so many things. People here have directed my career, cried with my family, spent time to learn who I am, warts and all…It’s a precious thing. We should guard it dearly.

God bless all…(if that’s your thing)

Dwayne

Once again, brentoli hits a home run with his thread topic!

Although I don't post a lot, I read most of the threads daily. The education I have received here has been invaluable.

What has EMTcity taught me?

- there is so much more that I don't know than I do know.. and to quote the theme song from "Corner Gas".. "I don't know the same things you don't know" so this is a place where we can meet to teach each other, and learn from each other.

- I have been afraid to post as much as I probably should... partly in fear of asking the "dumb" question.. and I greatly respect Dwayne, and spenac, and others who are not afraid to ask those questions

- EMTcity has a ripple effect... I see something here that I haven't learned about, and I find myself researching it, and asking others.. and it generates discussion outside of the forums and chatroom here.

- EMTcity has taught me that although the members come from communities large and small, countries near and far, and that we are as diverse as can be, we have a common goal - to improve ourselves and EMS. It is amazing to talk to people halfway across the world, and realize that they are struggling with the same work issues as I am.

There are people here who I have never met in person, yet I feel I know and trust them like one of my best friends.

There are people here that when I have a call and I question myself afterwards, I can come here and bounce my thoughts off them without fear of their opinion, and that they will tell me straight up what they think.

There are people here who, when I said I wanted to get my medic, never said "you are too old" or "don't bother" but have cheered me on in my goals, and have offered their assistance when I have any questions.

EMTcity has taught me more than what I can list in a single post... and more than I can think of in the middle of the night...

To all those who have posted, and prompted me to learn more, to seek more, to ask more... THANK YOU. I know I will never be able to give back as much as I have learned from this site.

I too have learned a great deal here. Like Annie, Dwayne, Spenac and others, I started my paramedic later in life. I was encouraged by members here to "go forth and prosper" so to speak. I had one member who sent me a PM with a simple quote from the movie " A league of Their Own" when I was have a tough time in class. It was Tom Hanks saying " If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it". Little things like that are what I like about this place.

Like Brentoli, I am encouraged by the recent quality of posting and debate. Could it be we have "matured" over the last few years? If there is one thing I would like to see is more members post. It seems to be the same people all the time, which isn't a bad thing be any stretch of the imagination, but I'm sure there is more others could add to the discussions.

I read the threads regularly. Although I might not have anything to add due to the fact what I wanted to post had already been covered, doesn't mean I don't read them.

I thoroughly enjoy reading some of the threads. I actually look forward to reading some as I know they will enlighten me somehow.

The sentiments of the above posters are some I share and so I won't waste bandwidth reiterating. I would just like to thank Admin for starting EMT City, and all of you for helping me with my career change. I owe you volumes.

:notworthy:

Excellent topic! I've learned so much here that I don't even know where to start! I just enthralled by the fact I found this site through a random google search and here it ends up being one of my tools to carry with me through my EMS career! No tool on a whacker pack tops this one :wink:

When I was younger, I used to be the quiet girl. I know thats a tough image to fathom but its true :lol: The only way I knew how to express myself was through art. I painted, I sketched, I made things out of clay. I didn't have friends so I kept to myself as a kid. I didn't really have any coping skills or communications skills. But i excelled in Reading, writing, and Comprehension. So knowing all that brings me back to the person I am now.

When I first joined EMT City I was still kind of the quiet girl but was a bit of spit fire. Being on here for the almost 2 years I've been a member has taught me the things I didn't have before. I see how others express themselves here and seeing that brings out my expressions as well. I finally know what kind of person I am!

I feel more confident at my ability to think things through, find a solution and follow through with that. Sure I could do that before but some of the people that have had the most impact on me through words on a screen are Dwayne, Dustdevil, Ak, Asys, Rid, paramedicmike, Lonestar, NREMT, Jake, Itku2er, and michael. There are many others to list that I have learned from but these are the people from the top of my head right now. There is just so much logic behind each and every thing these people say.

The quality of post and the fact that in every post it always makes me sit back and think simply because there is always a lesson to be learned. I will never stop being a student. I just got my EMT-basic 2 weeks ago. Physically I'm not in school, but I still consider myself a student. If I could pass anything along to ANYONE its exactly that. There is just so much to learn! I never knew how much more I could learn until I came here! I've noticed a huge difference in my character, my judgment of many different things, including clinical judgment. I feel like now I'm rambling simply because I'm not fully awake. But I saw this post and absolutely could not pass it off.

Brent, I want to pass on to you how impressed I am with your posts. You have sparked some amazing discussion and have improved so much since the first day you've been here. You've brought out the discussion in me as much as other folks here. Keep it up!

With all that being said, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for giving me the tools to sit back and analyze myself as a person, an EMT, daughter, future wife, and future mother. I look forward to posting more through the years and hope that one day I can be an impact on someone the way that you folks have been a impact on me.

**Edited 1 time to fix a couple spelling errors.

Methinks it's getting really close to the Oscars. I love the responses so far but I'm still waiting to read that someone was thanking their mom and dad, and their agents for being there for them.

well heck RUFF you know i am gonna do it

I would love to thank boos mom and dad and his agent the internet...... :wink: :wink: :wink:

not funny enough Terri I'm sure someone out there has written their oscar acceptance speech in the guise of what I learned at EMT City

Michael, you surely have one right?

I bet he does he has everything or he is probally writing one as we WAIT for his reply.

Come on Michael dont let us down now...... 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.